Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I'm praying someone can offer hope here)

I picked up a very cheap 98 VW Golf I was going to use as a beater (and may still use). The car has front end damage, yet drives awesome and perfectly true. It has 80,000 miles, motor trans and clutch feel like brand new, and a pretty immaculate interior to boot. I let the steering wheel go on the turnpike and didn't touch it for 3 minutes!! It took me about 30 minutes to completely dissemble the front of the car, so I thought it was a steal. Unfortunately, the frame rail on the passenger side was pushed in slightly, which I thought was the extent of the major damage, but it looks like the frame is bent down as well. My dad measured about 3/4 inch difference. The kid that owned it before rear-ended another car and it looks like his bumper went under the other.

My question is - before we try to 'rig it (if we can), does anyone know if a frame shop could fix this, and for relatively cheap? The front of the frame has a heavy theaded boss on it that looks like its for a frame jig (its not for the bumper). I would think if someone who actually knew what they were doing, they could potentially heat up the small bend and pull the frame back up. The front of the frame being damaged could be dealt with - if the frame could be raised back up, I can get the bumper on and slap it back together.

One of the reasons I picked this particular car is because its otherwise in great shape, and my dad has an identical car and could use the transmission and some other parts for his if all else fails, but then I'd still have to part out the rest of it to try to get my money back. Our next shot it at is going to be modding the bumper bar with new bolt holes so the bumper gets raised up and hopefully lines up somewhat.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS I should elaborate that the wrinkle is about a foot back from the front of the frame, in front of the front wheels. Its not really doing any major holding of anything.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
nothing a little bit of a porta power and and hammers cant fix. if its tracking straight and the aligment is good just bend the frame back to where it should go- i have a porta power and it works great for straightening frames. cmon over with it :D

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An idea that someone else came up with was the fact that the tech school that I actually went to is getting remodeled, and will have a frame jig in their body shop come Sept. For now I'm going to try to relocate the holes on the bumper bar to make it work, then maybe down the road if I still have it, send it there with a new bumper bar.

We did try jacking it up with the jack but that didn't seem to help. Hopefully the car still drives right :crazy:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
my buddys ranger had a right side frame rail bent into a pretty decent V shape- about a foot deep in the middle, we made some peices and hooked the porta power up- straightend it all out and sold the truck-no one will ever know :D

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what the end of the frame rail looks like (thats not bad), but as you can tell in the second pic, the left side is a hair lower than the right.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts