Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of the first mods i wanna make to my GN is going through the fuel system. I'm looking into getting the Racetronix G77 fuel pump kit. With the fuel pump installation kit and the added ground that is an option. I've heard good about this kit so i assume its a good choice??

Second to go along with that i want to get an injector/chip combo from Turbo Tweak. As far as i know my car is stock. Just not sure what injectors to go with. The 42lbers or the 60lbers. I will mainly use the car for street duty/crusing to shows/meets etc maybe a track day but thats a big maybe. Any advice?
Also what do i need to tell the TT guys that make the chip? And is 93 octane safe or is 92 better? I can't recall if 93 octane is available everywhere
Any help is appreciated as i am still calling myself a newbie to the GN platform.

Of course when i get all the parts would anybody voulunteer to help with the install so i can save labor charges? :D

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
And a hot wire kit if that kit you mentioned doesnt have one with it. I'd say 60lb injectors so you have room to grow if need be. 93 is readily available in our areas- just not a Wawa (92 only). Turbo tweak has drop down for selecting/customizing your chip. Fill it out accordingly.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Scanmaster should be on a list of things to get.

Chuck

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hotwire kit is included with the kit I'm looking at.

A scan master is on my list, but I have limited funds to put into the car right now :(

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Order the fuel pump, get the 60's like everybody else suggested. Used you can find them for about $175-$200 on the other board. I got my used 42's last yr for $75.00 last yr.
Turbo Tweek is all online ordering. It will ask you your CAM, INNERCOOLER,TURBO, INJECTORS(part #), CONVERTOR, OCTANE,HEADS, RUNNING ALKY or Not, if your not running alky or race gas its just a street chip you want with max boost of 17lbs. Its pretty straight forward.

Stefan

·
Registered
71 Posts
And a hot wire kit if that kit you mentioned doesnt have one with it. I'd say 60lb injectors so you have room to grow if need be. 93 is readily available in our areas- just not a Wawa (92 only). Turbo tweak has drop down for selecting/customizing your chip. Fill it out accordingly.
:iagree:

I picked up a chip / injector combo from Turbo Tweak soon after I bought the car. I think he offers one free (or very cheap) chip "reburn", so I plan to return it when I upgrade to alky injection.

·
Buick Hypochondriac
3,236 Posts
L.J, what are your plans for the car? How far are you willing to push stock parts? How fast do you want to go? This will play a big part in the decision making process.

First, I'd start with a ScanMaster before anything else. At the least you'll know what's going on with the car.

While everyone is correct in saying to go to the 60s, you may not really need all that big of an injector. Remind you I went 11.98 on my 42 pounders and the stock turbo. Granted that's with alcohol. If you just want to run mid 11s and not have to put a rollbar in the car, 50s will do just fine. But that's just me talking here.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Main use for the car will be street use and cruising to shows/meets. Maybe a trip a two down the strip but not all the time.

Don't wanna push to the point of broken parts etc, but would like something reliable and fairly quick. Don't really want a roll bar and if I could run 11.50-12.00 reliably I'd be happy.

The reason i say 42 or 60 lbs is that's all I saw in the chip/injector combos on the TT website. Could I get injectors/ chip separate?

Just don't know where to go/what to get first. A scan master is something I DEF want. Jeff knows how my car is running now. It runs, but a little rough and he thinks part of the reason is the chip.

Of course when I get a little cash something comes up like now I think my DD needs brakes haha. With a limited budget what would be best to do under my conditions?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was hoping you'd chime in here Paul!!

Maybe I should rethink things?? I know 11's are fast for sure. A turbo upgrade wasn't in my thoughts at all. Maybe in the future or years down the road.

What would you recommend to go with the stock turbo? To me a 12 second street car is fast so maybe my goal should be 12's?

What should I get first/ where should I go?

·
Buick Hypochondriac
3,236 Posts
Get the ScanMaster first. The fuel system will be okay for now if your not out beating the hell out of the car. Get the car running right is always the first step.

My car was sooooo much fun when it was stock. Stock turbo, IC, and convertor and it went 12.2-3 all night long on a DR and was great on the street. Did all the simple mods plus downpipe and alchy (was on the car when I bought it).

That setup included:

Ported stock turbo (compressor only)
Ported stock IC (NO Dutt Neck)
Stock torque convertor
42s & TT alchy chip
3" downpipe
Basic everything else

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So before I do anything I should get a scan master? I have a boost gauge I need to install, any other gauges I should get for monitoring? Water temp, oil pressure and fuel pressure?

If I went with 42's, street chip no alky where would that put me?
I know I'm all over the place so thanks for bearing with me. I wanna do things right and in the correct order.

Wish I lived closer to NJ I'd love to hang with you Paul and learn as much as I can about these cars.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Knowing what you have...I would go with 60s, the TurboTweak and the Racetronix kit. You need a scanmaster...but get that on the next round - we can tune it safe.

60s vs 42's....the 42s were old tech...they worked (its what I have), but the 60s are more modern injectors and give you room to grow and they also won't work as hard.

PS - dont forget I think you still have my coil pack on there!

·
Buick Hypochondriac
3,236 Posts
So before I do anything I should get a scan master? I have a boost gauge I need to install, any other gauges I should get for monitoring? Water temp, oil pressure and fuel pressure?

If I went with 42's, street chip no alky where would that put me?
I know I'm all over the place so thanks for bearing with me. I wanna do things right and in the correct order.

Wish I lived closer to NJ I'd love to hang with you Paul and learn as much as I can about these cars.
I have gauges here if you need them. Boost, oil & water, and a Capsers knock gauge too. Yours if you want them. Have the senders and they all worked when I pulled them out. You will need a install kit for the boost gauge though.

Let me know, theyre taking up space in my toolbox.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have gauges here if you need them. Boost, oil & water, and a Capsers knock gauge too. Yours if you want them. Have the senders and they all worked when I pulled them out. You will need a install kit for the boost gauge though.

Let me know, theyre taking up space in my toolbox.
I have a boost gauge already. What brand gauges are they? The oil/water I'd be interested in for sure! How important is a knock gauge?
Everything is there to hook them up? What would you want for them?

Knowing what you have...I would go with 60s, the TurboTweak and the Racetronix kit. You need a scanmaster...but get that on the next round - we can tune it safe.

60s vs 42's....the 42s were old tech...they worked (its what I have), but the 60s are more modern injectors and give you room to grow and they also won't work as hard.

PS - dont forget I think you still have my coil pack on there!
Yes I do still have your coil pack on there!! I didn't forget that it's your spare Jeff!! What's the best place to get a replacement coil pack of my own?
So by saying we can tune it safe that means you can help with the install?? :)

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Hell yeah I told you I'd help whenever I can. You can buy new coilpacks from Kirban or online, but the newer ones are hit or miss. I usually hit up the junkyard off the conshy bridge (Shortys) and pull a couple off the front wheel drive cars there.

As far as the knock gauge...I think that would be an excellent stand-in (even if temporary) until you get a scanmaster!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is FLR Scott? I'm really interested in all the gauges except boost. If Jeff says knock gauge is good even if temporary I'm gonna go for it!! Now where to put them all haha.

Jeff what make models years can I find the coil packs on?

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
EDIT: What he said ^

·
Buick Hypochondriac
3,236 Posts
L.J., they are the VDO brand. Same ones Kirban sells. They all match. They're yours if you want them aka free. Let me know when you want them. I think I even got a console gauge pod as well.

They are the electric gauges. Installation is fairly straightforward. Im pretty sure I have the instructions for the knock gauge as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
L.J., they are the VDO brand. Same ones Kirban sells. They all match. They're yours if you want them aka free. Let me know when you want them. I think I even got a console gauge pod as well.

They are the electric gauges. Installation is fairly straightforward. Im pretty sure I have the instructions for the knock gauge as well.
That's AWESOME!! I was planning on getting the VDO gauges anyway and that's the brand boost gauge I already have so everything will match!!
Can u let me know if u DEF have the console pod. If not ill order one because I had planned on that too. Also would u wanna meet up for me to get them or what? When is good for you? Thanks ALOT

So I'm thinking console pod for oil/water and a dual pod for the pillar for boost/knock. Sound good?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts