Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I grew up riding in Buicks: a Special, a 74 Century, then 81 and 83 G bodies (non turbo), then a W body and so on.

As a 10 year old kid, the intercooled GNs were unbelievably cool at the dealership. But my dad wasn't really a car guy so he bought the non turbo cars.

Fast forward through a couple decades... I've owned a few performance cars, but always needed something that I could drive daily, so the GN didn't make sense.

Lately I had a 2005 Pontiac GTO with LS2 and 6 speed and when another driver totalled it, I bought a 2006 Pontiac GTO LS2 / M6, which is my weekend cruiser now. It's got 20,000 summer miles and over 400hp and really is a nice comfortable, fast, GT.

I have a daily driver now too (Cruze).

So I'm thinking of selling the GTO and getting a GN to fulfill my childhood dreams. My biggest hesitation actually is "support". While the GTO has been a fun ride, when something that is GTO unique has problems, or even if there isn't a problem but you're trying to optimize something (an alignment, a differential adjustment), there are very few people who know what they are doing. They don't have the hands on GTO experience to tweak things perfectly. I needed a diff rebuild at one point, and it turned into a 7 month ordeal after which the diff still wasn't factory "right"!

While I'm pretty handy in the garage, I'm not someone to pull a trans or diff off and rebuild it myself, mostly because I don't have the time. But smaller things, brakes, top end of engine, cooling, etc. I enjoy working on. And with two kids, I do want a car I can work on with them as they grow. I don't hesitate to tackle small to mid sized jobs.

I'm in the Cleveland OH area.

What kind of LOCAL support do you guys feel I'll see for a GN, if I ever need it?

Are there parts about the GN that are difficult to repair in the sense that they are unusual, or uniquely done on the GN? Or is everything at least straight forward and a good mechanic would be able to tackle things?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
A good mechanic can do it all and will tell you he loves that car. Mine is stock and runs great just don't go overboard and you will not break stuff,,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts