Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a v8 guy and have put some good combinations together. I just purchased my first grand national 87 stock. I want to put 60 lbs injectors turbo tweak chip scan master on it. What power am i expected to see ? Also i want to pit a te49 turbo a rjc controller and a intake kit. Realistically what would this car do in the qaurter mile. Im just trying to compare and i see alot of knowledge here. Thanks for the replies. If anyone has suggestions please throw them at me. Ideally would like to see a 11.50 or 11.00 car.

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
You need to make sure the car is running correctly in stock trim before you even consider doing any upgrades. Go here 1st: The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

Next you need to upgrade your fuel pump and get a good boost gauge.
An adjustable fuel regulator is needed or at a minimum a Bosh 237 regulator. (Stock is a 233)

To run consistent mid to low 11s you will be better off with a turbo larger than a TA49--not to mention 60lb injectors are huge for a TA49. A TE60 would be a better choice. The TE60 may be ok with the stock D5 converter but you would be better off with a bit more stall 2800 should do it. A 3" downpipe would be a big plus as well. You will also need traction. If you don't want to mess around, just get some 26 x 10 x 15 FULL SLICKS. You really need to mount these on 15" x 10" rims but I have seen the put on 15" x 8" rims--not recommended.

You have the right idea by getting some type of scan tool to see what is going on. Also keep in mind dipping into the 11s usually means additional safety equipment is needed to race depending on the sanctioning body (NHRA or IHRA) at the track. Check the rules or be prepared to be sent home if you run mid 11s. (You may already know all this just throwing it out there)

Keep things realistic--you are not going to go from Stock to 11.5s over night.
Take it step by step. Lots of experience here that is more up-to-date then me but I have owned and have been around these cars for 26 years. I am sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Because of the track owners I dare not try to break into the 11's without fear of getting barred for life from the track. But on a cold day, 30'F I went 12 flats with a 1.61 60ft on 19psi with a TE44, stock intercooler and unopen motor. On a warm day with 24psi and 18' of timing and the alky cranked full, I was light launching, no heating up the tires and went [email protected] So, if everything is right you should get into the 11's. A good converter and a PTE6262 would probably make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the reply I was only considering the TE 49 turbo because it will bolt right up. I already have 3 inch down pipe. The te49 turbo is a direct bolt up. Will that turbo go 11.90??? I know about the track they are strict. If i can go 11.90 i should be fine

·
Registered
195 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts