Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally using a revision 'F' extender chip with the Translator+ and LS1 Maf. All I have to say is WOW. I didn't have to adjust anything as it seems to run perfect out of the box. One thing I was wondering though is other users WOT MAF numbers. At 20psi with a TA-49 my MAF at WOT was 202gps or so. With the double resolution I assume this means ~404gps. Since we are now getting a more accurate reading with the newer MAFs is there a way to calculate HP from the amount of air being ingested by the motor? BTW - At 20psi using pump gas the Buick managed 12.45 @ 109mph, not bad for a street slug! usa powersix

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Sounds about right for the LS1 MAF through a TA49 at 20# of boost.

I made a short blast on the highway the other day, and at 17# of boost through my LT1 MAF (verifying it was a good MAF) and TE44, I registered a high MAF reading of 173 just a few milli seconds before the shift from 3rd to 4th. This was at 5,000 rpm, and 100 mph. IPW peaked at 79%.

·
Registered
817 Posts
hey mike
why did ya go to a trans+? when you have a max effort?
ive been tossing around the idea of getting one or the other.
can you send me your thoughts and experiences on this?
here or email
thanks
Dave

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are pros and cons of both I am sure.

I wanted to try the T+ and extender b/c of the nicer MAF with the double resolution. Also I wanted to go back to using the O2 sensor for around the town driving. The extender will do the open loop idle, everything in between and then WOT there is no 'tuning' to do b/c of the air being metered above 255gps. So far I love the new setup as the drivability is unmatched. thumb_up Also with the hardware box of the T+ you can simply modify base fuel, WOT fuel, Base timing and WOT timing! That's enough to keep me busy for awhile!

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I did the same thing when going to 55's on my car.

New Extender Extreme works great, nice programmable features and easy to tweak for racing if need be.

I can use my ME16 chip in the GN however, Bosch 43 injectors, if, and when I decide to take out Erics' Turbotweak alky. chip that also works great which is why it's still in the car. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I love my Trans+ and Extender chip.
I'm usually around the mid 180's at 5000+/- rpm @ 77%DC I run a PTE 44 with Low Z 52 lb Siemens injectors.

If you want a surprise, play with the low gear Spk boost and fueling settings. :D
The first time I experimented with the settings, I put the car sideways. eek!

I'm going to rave a bit about "The Mad Scientists" creations here... Because of his T+ and E chip, along with his Bstc. (also because my car is 2800 lbs and a few other things) I can get away with running 24 lbs of boost in 1st,2nd and 3rd gears on 94 octane pump gas (I scale it back to 20lbs in 4th. I wired up a toggle SW, so I can switch between 3rd or 4th gear boost scaling)
I have his 98 Oct chip (23/21) scaled back to 19/17 with the low gear spk boost set to max 15 = 3.75 deg additional timing in low gears. I have richened the low gear fuel by 4% and "may" reduce that by 2%

Lots of combo's to experiment with. I did find that keeping the initial (Spark Base) timing high and reducing it at WOT made the car more responsive down low, but found it seemed to lag a bit in the mid to upper RPM range. Still working on when to ret the WOT spk and timing combo's.

So basically what I'm trying to say in my late night rant... thumb_up thumb_up for Bob Bailey

Paul

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Paul, I have never played with any of the timing or fueling options... yet :)

Does anyone know if you can accurately calculate HP from GPS of air entering the motor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts