Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to know anything speical I should do for long term storage. I have one engine that together and a couple complete engine that's apart. Looking for advise on making sure they are in good shape years down the road. They will be stored in a basement, however like most basements, I do have a little moisture every now and then.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Spray up the parts with WD40 and put them in a plastic bag. Suck close with a vacuum cleaner and tie up real tight. I have parts for 30 years that still look the same.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Cosmoline. It gives a protective barrier that lasts forever.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I use CRC Tool Guard on my blocks, cranks, heads, etc. I get it at Autozone in an aerosol can. I used it at Crower on all the parts. It's like WD-40, but it's not sticky and lasts longer. I've heard of using self etching primer on the surfaces too.

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, any idea on the engine that's together?

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I forgot about using Kroil, good stuff. As for the motor, I would paint the outside and turn the motor over now and then by hand. Keep it indoors too.

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Slather it in motor oil, everywhere. Priming the oil pump with the pan full would be a good idea too. Then wrap it in a couple of lawn-leaf trashbags, the good thick ones, to keep dirt out.

·
Fast with class Datsun?
160 Posts
There was a good post from a engine builder on one of the car sites I visit. Here is his post:

web page

web page

first coat the cylinders and pistons with marvel mystery oil, loosen all the rockers so no springs or lifters are under tension,if the engine has the cylinder heads bolted on, squirt about 3 teaspoons of marvel mystery oil into the spark plug holes,remove the oil pan and coat the crank and rods with marvel mystery oil, reinstall the oil pan with a minimum of 6 bolts, snug but not tight,buy a can of
LPS #3 sprayed over all external surfaces then thread the old spark plogs in to the plug threads finger tight, tape all openings like exhaust ports./intake ports, with duct tape,then, stick the block in a 40 gallon plastic trash bag sealed with duct tape, reseal the block twice more so that you have 3 seperate 40 gallon trash bags over the block each sealled seperately with duct tape. place the engine off the floor on a shelf or on an engine stand (screw the bolts right thu the plastic to mount it)
Ive stored engines for over 5 years this way and they come out in perfect condition
web page

web page
!M!

<small>[ November 09, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Mat73GNZ ]</small>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts