Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got done putting in my console brackets and inner seatbrackets as well. I have a few questions where should i drill the hole for the shifter cable? is there a dimension to measure from?Also I need the rubber boot for the cable itself, gm says discontinued. Is there other gm's that use a similar boot? if this isn't the right forum please direct me in the right direction. As always thanks for reading :usa:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
For someone to answer your question I believe you will need to provide which shifter and transmission you are working with along with what you are attempting to accomplish.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm sorry, I'm using the stock shifter, and cable and will be using the 200-r. basically I'm converting astraight bench seat car to factory buckets and console. thanks for any help :cheers:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I'd buy a brand new shifter cable as it will have the boots already on it. Drilling the hole shouldn't be a big deal. Once everything is in place the cable is going to go through the floor in one spot, kinda hard to mess that one up. Once the shifter is bolted down and you hook the cable up to the shifter from inside the car, it should be obvious where the hole needs to be. You could always look on the underside of a car already using a console to get an even better idea.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Also I don't think your ECM is wired or will control lock up and OD in the 200R4. You will have you buy an aftermarket controller from B&M or others that works off a Speedometer cable adaptor.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I'm not sure on your old 79 but the newer G-bodies have two dimples in the floor pan that the factory guys used to drill the holes for the shifter cable grommet. There is a grommet that seals the cable(it is discontinued) to the floor pan and it was held down with two sheet metal screws. If you can find them, than all you need to do is drill your big hole between them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks eric, those dimples are there, so it gives me an idea. The thing is I don't have a motor or tranny in it yet, and wanted to get it set up for the motor. I do need that grommet that has the sheet metal screws to the floor tunnel. Since you're a gm guy or any one else out there is anything still available from g.m. that might work? my idea is taking a b.b. chevy valve cover grommet and rtv it in place. As always thanks for the help :confused: :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would've, but I had the stuff in the garage, and I'm going for the grand national look, but I always think bench cars are cool :headbang:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I've never found a source for the grommet. The VC thing sounds like a plan. Most late models use something that looks like the speedo cable grommet on our cars.

I like the bench seats in my Rivieras but the bad part is those damn seatbelt buckles poking up through the bottom. The wife saw American Grafitti one night so we had to go cruising because she never did that when she was in HS. She lasted about a minute before it got to uncomfortable. And the really stupid thing is I converted my GN over to a column shift and removed the console and shifter so I could remove about 30 pounds from the car. Column shifting rules! :headbang:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the help/ suggestions, I found a boot in descent shape today in a bone yard out of a gran prix. i'm wondering when they are going to be reproduced though, I mean were getting to be a popular bunch (a-g bodies). I know wish in one hand... and also on the list would be filler panels for 78-80 century coupes! thanks again! :6:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts