Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a line lock on the 83 Stealth project. The car has vacuum brakes and a proportioning valve that splits the front into the two lines (right and left) and the back into one line. The directions on the Hurst kit says to install the line lock after the proportioning valve and to block one line until after the line lock. The instructions on the GN-TType site says you can either install it before or after the proportioning valve. If I install it before the proportioning valve I can mount the line lock on the fender well. If I install it after the proportioning valve then I can't find a location I like. Many of the locations after the valve will be very close to the cross-over pipe and will likely get very hot. Other locations would be in the path of debris from the front tire.

For those of you who have installed a line lock how did you deal with these issues? Did you install it before or after the proportioning valve? If after where did you locate the line lock. You're help is greatly appreciated.

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I drilled two holes on the transmission linkage plate that uses the proportioning valve bolts and mounted it there (basically on top of (on the passenger side of) the Prop valve).

Ran the two front brake lines into a Tee fitting and a new line into the line lock. another new line goes into the prop valve. You plug one of the front line holes in the Prop vavle and use the other for the Line lock.

I ran the power wire through the shifter linkage hole under the console (If your car is a floor shift) to the switch in the ashtray.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UNGN, that is exactly what I was thinking about doing but I wasn't sure if I could keep the brakes lines out of the way of any debris from the front tire. If you T the two front brake lines together and then lose pressure in either one, you loose both front brakes. How long have run the car this way? Mine will also be a daily driver.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by V6RACER:
I installed my line lock near the fuel filter. I use it to block the rear brakes for the burnout and when I release the button it allows all the brakes to engage. I can send you a pic if needed. Also, I used a TCI line lock because it mounts inline with the brake line.

Has anyone else tried this? It sounds like a good idea to me (still have to get one installed on my GN). Would it be NHRA approved since it's after the prop valve? If nothing else, the local tracks might not say anything if they didn't find it

------------------
-Dan

'87 GN---stockish, Big Mouth Cold Air, SMC alky, all the little stuff under the hood.
1st time at the track: 13.18 @ 103 w/ a 2.09 60ft.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by FamilyMan:
UNGN, that is exactly what I was thinking about doing but I wasn't sure if I could keep the brakes lines out of the way of any debris from the front tire. If you T the two front brake lines together and then lose pressure in either one, you loose both front brakes. How long have run the car this way? Mine will also be a daily driver.
I was apprehensive at first, but it brakes better now than before the install (They were probably overdue for bleeding).

Even with the factory set up, if you lose pressure in one front line you will lose pressure in both. The lines are up out of the way of anything and it's inside the frame and away from the crossover so it should be safe. I thought about mounting it in front of the prop valve on the frame, but the proportioning valve plate was so much easier.

I've only put about 250 miles on it since the install a few weeks ago, but so far I have no complaints about braking (other than the fact that I may be burning out for too long, now, because it so easy)

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts