Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hears there may be a company out there that makes lighter steel drums. Is this true, and can anybody tell me who it is and where to get them. Thanks guys! dunno My drums are worn and need new ones for inspection. Basicly I need them ~~~~Faaast! headbang

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Most of the noname drums sold by the big retail stores are made in Bora Bora or some far away land. They are light and will warp real easy. The only heavy ones made now or GM, Bendix and Raybestos.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how much lighter are they do you think. From the alluminum? And how do the women look in Bora Bora poon Thanks Guys.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Don't believe they are lighter than aluminum...they are just junk

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Steve,
You and I have covered this aluminum brake drum item at least twice now. What is up with all these "light weight steel drums"..

Why don't people consider the used aluminum drums for 60-80 bucks and be done with it. Am I missing something ? I like my aluminum drums and when these go, I will get another set...

I think you & I are on the same page here, but I keep seeing the same threads and wonder if perhaps I have missed some great new invention.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Aluminum drums are getting kind of hard to get so people are looking for alternatives.The difference in weight is really only a good meal. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it. I have rear disc brakes on mine wink

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I have aluminum drums on one car...as Ed says, they are getting harder to find. They can still be found tho.

I have bought steel drums in the aftermarket before and, they might be lighter than the oem drums, but, they warp quickly, and braking power diminishes. In my opinion, brakes are not a place to cut corners...these cars have undersized brakes for their power potential and anything you do that may increase stopping distance is not too bright in my opinion.

Any performance gains from lighter drums is minimal in the first place. Turn the boost up a 1/10# to make up for it if running heads up, and, if running brackets, who cares? :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anybody has a nice set alluminum drums please contact me. I will eed them in less than two weeks. Thanks guys! powersix

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Be sure you can return them and get your money back when they turn out to be steel.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Cast iron is much more likely than steel, I think. Either way, the aluminum ones are lighter, but not be a lot.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the realit check Steve. I will try to remain optamistic! Thanks Toady for the info, that helped a lot! I am actualy gonna call them on that number to make sure they are alluminum before I order. For that price they better be. Thanks again! headbang

·
Registered
882 Posts
HERE'S THE ANSWER: NO ALUMINUM DRUMS

------------------------------------------
"We checked with our warehouses and unfortunately, these are not available at this time. Please check back with us periodically as we are always updating our inventory. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Thank Your for choosing ExpressAutoParts.com

Regards,

Customer Service
http://www.expressautoparts.com
[email protected]
-----------------------------------------------
HTH

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
there have not been any for years...no surprise there. :)

If stuck on aluminum, you should be able to find an individual selling them for 50-60$, or start digging thru the junk yard for 10-15$.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well Boo.
I guess my url won't be of benifit to you for those drums.
Sorry.
express auto does have some decent prices on other things like cam sensors with drive unit.
I bout eek! when I seen the price in a ATR catalog.
$113 for a whole unit through expressauto.
Like $230 through ATR.

Anyway...
Good luck on the drums.
If you check the Junk yards.... I heard someone mention that you could get aluminum drums off a Camaro.
Is this true?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Regals with peg legs had them...probably the same for other G bodies?

Express is out of the cam sensors...guess you got the last one...?? headbang

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really do appreciate the effort! Thanks guys! Its the thought that counts! loser

1 - 19 of 19 Posts