Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people. I got my 87GN back on the road and I'm having this problem of it killing sometimes when I lift off the gas. It was having this problem before but I haven't driven the car in so long I had forgotten about it. If you accelerate aggresively or just moderately aggresive and let off the gas completely the engine kills sometimes and the times it doesn't kill it comes close.

The cam is a 204/224. I was thinking that the problem could be related to my cam maybe dunno .

TIA.

<small>[ April 21, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Nasty Wendy ]</small>

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
your suposed to let off the throttle?? dunno :confused:

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
NW,

It could be in the chip. Are you by chance running a 9" torque converter? I have heard about people having problems because of some tables in the chip that cut the fuel back too much when you let off the throttle. What chip are you running now?

Good luck,

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
What torque converter?

Post the whole combo.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok lets see if I can remember my combo LOL.

Red Armstrong 93octane chip
009 injectors
Mark Jackson Stretch IC
TE44
70mm Precision Turbo Throttle body and plenum
Power plate for Precison plenum
PTE Turbo Saver oil system
204/224 cam
SMC ALKY
Stock converter

I don't think I left anything out.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think its the chip because I've run Red's chip in my car from day one. The problem didn't start until the CAM went in. Thats why I was wondering if the grind on my cam could cause that sort of problem. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Most likely it is the chip. The GNs were bad about doing it even stock...I say bad...I should have said noted for it..not everytime but once in awhile. Get the decel parameter tweaked a bit in the chip and that should fix it.

Get Eric to make you a chip..bet it will be more modern than the one you have and, not only fix the problem, but, make it run better to boot.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve. I didn't know that was a noted problem with GNs. I almost feel better about it now. wink And for the next stupid question......Who is Eric?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If the TCC solenoid sticks on decel. that could also do it.

Check the tranny for proper shifting and locking and unlocking of the converter.

Eric Marshall.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Eric Stage 1 on here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like to use Steve Yaklin's IAC setup procedure (even if not using the ME). Basically you end up with the IAC number at almost zero, and most of the air goes through the throttle blade. That way, if the car starts to stall, it has the whole IAC travel to open back up to try and "save" the stall.

Regards,
Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts