Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonite i noticed that my axle tube was leaking right where it goes into the center section.
just on the drivers side though.
is this a sign of bigger problems ahead?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chances are, you broke the spot welds where the axle tube is pressed into the centre section.

You should be able to weld it back with a stick welder, but I would take it apart and make sure the tubes are not bent, and that everything is square.

..Mike

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Mine have leaked for a long time now. Was wondering what caused that. Isn't this a common problem?

------------------

'87 GN - Stock Block, Stock Cam, Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
11.92 @ 111.77mph

'87 Mazda RX-7 w/GN Powerplant
12.37 @ 122.26 MPH
Visit : http://www.MisRed.com

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
No, it's not common. If everything checks square, the best thing to do is get the tubes welded to the housing. Lots'a work though.

------------------
TurboDave mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing
Lone Rock, WI
86 GN[email protected](MAF Xlator+/Extender,BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
My photo albums

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Hey Dave,

I sent you some email earlier tonight, but I didn't know about your problem. Maybe you should pull your rearend and take the whole thing to Bear's and have them fix-upgrade everything to accomodate your power level.

I have seem cars that launch hard break an axle while launching and the cars make a very quick right or left turn, not a pretty site. It is going to cost some money, but hurting your car at the track will cost even more!!

Call Bear's and have them check it out.

Good luck,

Paul Beal
[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Common problem the factory weld probably went through the axle tube a little. Sometimes you will find them with a bad axel bearing on one side where the weld got inside the tube and found it's way into the bearing.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Wear a diaper

Sorry shmed... I couldn't resist

Paul
72 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Hmmm... heard of it... never seen it.

The tubes on my T have been externally welded @ the housing. Just a 1-2" stitch on the top and bottom.

------------------
Michael Lis

87 Vortec SS -- 12.7 @ 110 w/ 1.9 60' (This car runs 12s on 87 octane)
Click Here To See Specs
87 Turbo T - 1986.99 WE4 Clone -- 13.7 @ 104mph w/2.2 60'
Click Here To See Specs
See the cars here:
Canadian Skunk Works

Originally posted by myclone
I see you have ODed on retardacylin today. Want me to call an ambulance?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would have the tubes squared, welded to the center section with a fixture that holds the tubes straight to the carrier bearings. Do it right and remove the rear end, remove the carrier,and at the same time have the Ford 9" type bearing retainers installed eliminating the C-clips. There is a place in IL that does it reasonable. I'm going to have mine done and shortened to better fit my rear tires and wheels. Gene

1 - 9 of 9 Posts