Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the melting point of lead is? I have a plumbers lead ingot, and I want to make some gaskets to seal my leaky crossover pipe flange, (oval shape) but am worried about them melting. Any other ideas?

Paul

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Man I dont know the answer to your?Get a new crossover there pretty cheap. But how do you keep that celica on the road!!Hell back in 76 when I was working for Toyota I put a 5 speed 20R in place of the 18R in a 72 celica and it would burry the speedo & I never got it up to top speed!It would fly!now that its 2001 I hope it stays together for ya.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fast86
My problem is that the manifold flanges have gone oval and getting a new (round)crossover pipe would not fit the old manifolds very well. So it's,
(A)Buy new manifolds and crossover pipe $$$.
(B)see if I can find a good muffler shop that will reshape the flanges.(So far no luck)
(C)Find some sort of gasket to use?
(D)Remove the crossover pipe, put a layer of muffler cement on the flange, reinstall the pipe and repeat the process every month or so, like I have been doing. [I have got it down to an art
]

I bought the Toyota in 75 and it never sees winters, so the frame and body are in pretty great shape. I will take you back down memory lane, do you remember a company called TRD ? I managed to get my hands on one of the 18RG twin cam race motors

8000 RPM red line. It had a power band like a motorcycle, hit 6 grand... and hold on, yikes. But no HP & torque like the 3.8 Turbo SFI

Its 29 years old and still kicking butt.

Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

[This message has been edited by Quick Toy (edited August 14, 2001).]

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
Originally posted by Quick Toy:
fast86
My problem is that the manifold flanges have gone oval and getting a new (round)crossover pipe would not fit the old manifolds very well. So it's,
(A)Buy new manifolds and crossover pipe $$$.
(B)see if I can find a good muffler shop that will reshape the flanges.(So far no luck)
(C)Find some sort of gasket to use?
(D)Remove the crossover pipe, put a layer of muffler cement on the flange, reinstall the pipe and repeat the process every month or so, like I have been doing. [I have got it down to an art
]

I bought the Toyota in 75 and it never sees winters, so the frame and body are in pretty great shape. I will take you back down memory lane, do you remember a company called TRD ? I managed to get my hands on one of the 18RG twin cam race motors :0 8000 RPM red line. It had a power band like a motorcycle, hit 6 grand... and hold on, yikes. But no HP & torque like the 3.8 Turbo SFI

Its 29 years old and still kicking butt.

Paul

And DAMN NICE car as well

------------------
Steve Ruston
1987 Turbo Limited

1 - 6 of 6 Posts