Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i 've been thinking about this for a while, so last night me and the wife picked up a lcd tv at circuit city, we did'nt even know what to choose plasma or lcd? so many tv's to look at and they all looked pretty good, a couple of tv's stood out the sharp aquos 45inch, the samsung 40inch and the Lg 42inch. there were some nice sony and hitachi's as well, make a long story short after 2 hrs we choose the Lg HD 42inch it has a great picture, we're very happy with the tv, the only other tv that looked better to me was the sharp but that was $3499 and only 3inch's bigger the Lg was $2249, and the 3 yr warrenty i think for the money this was one of the best tv's at circuit city.

what do you guys think? i know Lg is'nt that well known but the picture was awesome. is plasma better? :feedback:

·
Owner-TR Custom Parts
1,059 Posts
We are really happy with our 42" Sony Wega TV we got from CC. If you are happy with your set that is all that counts. Sort of wish we went for the 50" though.

·
Keep the Rubber Side Down
1,161 Posts
LG is a big company, I think they got into TV's more with the advent of plasma/LCD, etc technologies.....

If the picture compares well, and the features are there, you should have no reservation about feeling like you chose wisely IMO.

The only brand that sticks out in my mind as blatenly overpriced (paying for the name) is SONY (Sorry BuickGN Boosted). :(

I'll be getting a similar TV soon, been looking alot myself....

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
plasma because of the wide viewing angle

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Plasmas have deeper blacks, but are suceptible to burn in. LCD's blacks are more dark gray, but are not suceptible to burn in. My opinion is LCD's have a sharper picture. Plasmas have more contrast, but you can see each "pixel" like a scoreboard. LCD's have a light bulb inside them that is good for something like 30k hrs and if blown out is at this time a ~$300 expense. Plasmas used to have a 6 or 7 year life until they started to fade, but I understand todays technology says this is no longer a concern. LCD's are generally only made to 37-40" Yes, I know Samsung makes a 60 but its like 17 grand. Plamas go from like 37 to 60. I have an Aquous 32 in my bedroom and I gotta tell you, the black aint that bad and the picture is sharper than my CRT RPHDTV. Its mounted on the wall so has zero footprint. If I could get an LCD in a 55, I'd go that route and get rid of my CRT. I mean direct view LCD, not a RP LCD. My brother in law has an HP plasma which I believe are made by Panasonic and for the 6k he paid, I'm just not impressed.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Plasma's are good for only about 5000 hours. LCD is the way to go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not to start a flame war here or anything but "5000 hours" :eek: c'mon give plasma technology some credit. Most, and I mean 97%, of the plasmas (and lcd's as well) are 60,000 hour panels. 365 daysx20.5 yearsx8 hours per day= ~60,000hours. Even the tv industry standard crt tube tv's are only ~15 years. Besides, the plasmas we sell at work are on display 12 hours a day every day. If 5000hrs. was the limit some of the plasmas we have had for way over a year would have faded by now, and to the contrary, they are just as bright as the new/er models.

And as far as which is better, from what I have learned from talking to people is that it really comes down to personal preference. Some people swear up and down that plasma is better than lcd and vise-versa. If you want to use it as a computer monitor, you would not want to touch a plasma for the simple fact of image retention. Unless, of course, you like the "start bar" permenately stuck at the bottom of your screen :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
All I can say is that we have 8 Panasonic 42" plasma screen at work that have been on for 24hrs a day, 365 days a year for the past 3 years. They do burn in, but only if you have something displayed on it that does not move (ie. a monitoring computer program). We have 1 screen for our cable TV & there is no burn in & there is no sign of "pixels" on them. Since they were open 3 years ago, only one has stopped working about 2 weeks ago, the others are still going strong. Unfortunately I cannot compare them to LCD screens since I have seen them only at the store, so I'm just stating facts of what I have seen & experienced for the plasma screen. In any way I'm sure it's better than a regular TV. Enjoy the new toy.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Which ever way you go,Samsung used to be so-so quality wise and there's a reason industry people call LG "low grade".
I had one of the LG DVD recorders for about a week and it definitely lived down to it's nickname.
I used to have a Samsung TV years ago and it didn't last long either.
Take that for what it's worth. :)

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
Best deal right now is the true 1080P DLP Samsung. Best buy had a 61" for 2600 bucks. You can't beat that!

I love my Sony SXRD and I personally think it's better than a plasma, LCD, or DLP tv, and it can upconvert to 1080P, but for the money you can't beat the new Samsung DLP. :) Samsung probably comes off the same line as the Sonys. :wink:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I probably should have elaborated more on my comment.

I didn't mean after 5000 hours you have to toss 'em out...just in my experience and with friends in the industry..plasmas seem to have the need for repair more often than others.

If you're gonna spend big bucks on a TV..I think the last thing you want to do is have a higher chance of problems with it..regardless of the warranty.

Sucks to come home and have to watch that little TV til your big screen comes back from repair. :D

Obviously I'm no expert :yup: sr71 try this site for other opinions www.bonafidereviews.com

·
Wheels Up!
712 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I bought the SXRD about 5 months ago and I think it is the best $2100 dollars I have ever spent. Yeah, $2100 (Employee discount rocks) :headbang:

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
savage6 said:
I couldn't agree more. I bought the SXRD about 5 months ago and I think it is the best $2100 dollars I have ever spent. Yeah, $2100 (Employee discount rocks) :headbang:

Grr, I paid almost 3400 for mine a few months back. It's been worth it though. Only think I don't like is the 1080p is upconverted.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bishir said:
Best deal right now is the true 1080P DLP Samsung. Best buy had a 61" for 2600 bucks. You can't beat that!

wow $2600 for a 61" that i have to check-out, the salesman did mention samsung as being very good as well. It's hard trying to pick out what to buy
so i just choose based on picture quality, size and price, i did'nt want to buy just on name alone, but as long as your happy i guess thats what counts, also got the Lg HD- dvd recorder with pip, it looked good when play-ing dvd's with regular av-jacks but my suggestion is buy the HD cable if your tv is HD it connects right to the back of your HIGH DEF Lcd or Plasma it cost me $89 + tax but it makes a big difference. I love the way it looks when i play a dvd.
i know there are some lcd's and plasma tv out there for some great prices but the most of them are'nt HD, it all depends on what you like i guess :dunno:

·
Registered
430 Posts
YOu cant beat a Samsung DLP, they kick serious but. no burn in and nothing to burn out, awesome pic. Tigerdirect had a sale on them for $1599 for a 51in, came with built in stand,looked hot. No shipping fee's or taxes.

Ralph

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
sr-71 said:
bishir said:

wow $2600 for a 61" that i have to check-out, the salesman did mention samsung as being very good as well. It's hard trying to pick out what to buy
so i just choose based on picture quality, size and price, i did'nt want to buy just on name alone, but as long as your happy i guess thats what counts, also got the Lg HD- dvd recorder with pip, it looked good when play-ing dvd's with regular av-jacks but my suggestion is buy the HD cable if your tv is HD it connects right to the back of your HIGH DEF Lcd or Plasma it cost me $89 + tax but it makes a big difference. I love the way it looks when i play a dvd.
i know there are some lcd's and plasma tv out there for some great prices but the most of them are'nt HD, it all depends on what you like i guess :dunno:

Better hurry, my friend went to buy his today and said they raised the price.

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Gnfanatic said:
YOu cant beat a Samsung DLP, they kick serious but. no burn in and nothing to burn out, awesome pic. Tigerdirect had a sale on them for $1599 for a 51in, came with built in stand,looked hot. No shipping fee's or taxes.

Ralph
The only problem with DLP is the rainbows you see with certain colors displayed. Sony supposedly fixed that by using 3 transistors and 3 mirrors.

I stick to my statement above. If I were to do it all over again, I'd buy a direct view LCD for my main TV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.