Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would Lakewood traction bars do anything if I had boxed lower control arms (trailing arms) and an ATR rear sway bar? Or would it be over kill?

http://store.summitracing.com/
partdetail.asp?part=
LAK%2D20189&view=257
#largerimage

TIA!

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: jsta6 ]</small>

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Your link doesn't work. However, if they're the one's I'm thinking of,

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! :mad:

Speaking from experience (mine went straight into the trash can 6 months after installing them), they provided absolutely no help what-so-ever.

Those kind of bars (copied from leaf spring slapper bars) have no real use on our cars since we already have a fair 4 link system that doesn't suffer from wrap up or any of the other maladies that leave sprung cars suffer.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Like Dave said.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Do what I did, get the South Side Machine bars. They're just like any other tubular lower arm, but they have a shackle you can weld or bolt to your axle to get as much pinion angle as you need. I have mine set at 5 degrees and the traction is unbelieveable. They're only like $150 at Summit too. But don't get them if you don't know some basic fabrication or don't know how to set up a pinion.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I don't know why the link got truncated. I cut it up in to four peices.

hmmmm. I saw these in a video, and they did eliminate wheel hop.

I will think about the SSM bars.

BTW, south side machine is going out of business...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since SSM is out of business, the only choice is lakewood.

It looks like they have two kinds of lowers now, the regular traction bars, which I think you are talking about (21610), and the "traction action" bars (20189).

I can't find the SSM bars you are talking about at summit. Do you have a part number?

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I got Summit part # SSM-1313 for the SSM bars, priced at $159.99. By the way, Kenne Bell sells the same idea, but I'm not sure how much they are, it'll probably be on back order for 4 months anyway.

Another option you have is to buy some adjustable upper control arms. The only reason the SSM arms work so good is because they preload the axle through the pinion angle.

When you launch, the axle pushes on the lower arms and pulls on the uppers. The tubular arms are stronger than the stamped stock arms (your boxed ones are good too) and therefore eliminates a little deflection in the arm itself. Might as well get some adjustable uppers and set your pinion between 4 and 6 degrees. Jegs has a house set for $154.99, part # 550-40089 with Heim joints.

I must tell you though that after I set my pinion a had a lot of oversteer which I cured by snagging some lower frame braces off a Cutlass in the local boneyard. I'm sure your car turned like a tank after that ATR sway bar.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I have boxed stock uppers and lowers, and the ATR rear sway bar, but I have not put them on yet.

On the car right now I have the 1LE front swaybar and the "jounce bars" from a cutlass. I have Moog 1" lower springs and Koni shocks. 16x8 aluminum mag wheels and 245/5016 tires all around. Under hood braces and rear seat braces. Battery is moved to trunk.

The car handles great, but not like a slot car, yet.

1313 is the number I had also. Someone is selling them over on the other board, but he wants $125 shipped, which is a bit high, considering they are $159 new at summit.

I am looking at making the power stay on the ground when I launch.

Will the ssm 1313 bars help or hurt my goal of slot car / roadracer?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I just received my copy of Popular Hot Rodding with Johnny Hunkins (GM Hi Tech) as the new editor, and there is an article on instant center featuring Metco products and a GN. Good reading.

Mike

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Anything you need to make a Regal hook can be found right here.

http://www.hrpartsnstuff.com/

Regals should not have a problem with wheel bounce if the bushings are in good condition. Stay away from long pinion snubbers as they were originally intended for leaf spring cars and can cause problems with loading/unloading on our cars if you are making much hp.

Dick Miller Racing does a lot of G-Body stuff and offers a neat little book on suspension work for them.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
PHR had gotten to be pretty darn good under Cameron Evans. I hope it does not go to hell under J. H. Maybe they wanted to be a bit less serious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts