Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting annoying.I reset the TPS to 4.50 at WOT and the car is still knocking at 14psi.12 degrees to be exact.I raised the fuel pressure to 56# line off and there was no change.I found what I think might be the stock chip in the glovebox so I tried it.It must have alot less timing because the car is a slug at part throttle.But at WOT and 14 psi,there was only 6 degrees of retard at the top of third gear.Progress!I was told by a lot of people that 30# injectors should be able to support 15psi without a problem.What do you guys think?Would a different chip help any? dunno

·
Registered
606 Posts
I wouldn't run a stock chip with bigger injectors.
Also you didn't say what octane fuel your using.
Try using either a better brand or higher octane fuel if possible,try race gas if you have to.
Hope that helps dunno

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All testing was done with 93 octane in the tank.I tried 65# fuel pressure(line off)and there was no change.The one thing that gets me is I dont get the same readings twice.On one run I get 7deg retard then the next one 3.3.After that I got 6.5.If I back off the pedal just a little the knock drops to zero.Im out of ideas here. dunno

·
Registered
184 Posts
what about fuel pressure at wot i had the same trouble before and my fuel filter was partly pluged and couldnt flow enough at wot. also maybee try a colder spark plug.if that stock chip makes it feel like a dog then that outher chip must be for good fuel. i think a stock chip is 22 degrees timing and most street chips for 17# of boost are 18 to 20 degrees timing you just might need a new 93 octane chip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i had a similar condition,ended up being a clogged fuel filter.it pissed me off cause it was a pretty new filter. but i had made some octane boost prior to this and i don't know if maybe it cleaned my tank/lines??? i would still
try another chip though as i've had that be the culprit just recently.it was'nt doing what it stated on the timing advance.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Are you sure it's not false? I have a similar problem,so until i get enough time to fix it I just don't dog it. :) These are expensive engines.

Try some more octane,change fuel filter again and all the suggestions above. Do a search on false knock or knock in general and get ready to read and have some trouble shooting fun.

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think its false knock because I can get on the car hard and nothing happens.I dont get any retard until WOT.When I had the pitbull chip I was getting knock in all gears.With the stock chip I just get it at the top of third gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts