Turbo Buick Forums banner

Knock @ 9.9psi?! TLink #s Inside.

801 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  forzfed 
#1 ·
I was out testing with my T-Link v3.0 tonight... and found something quite odd... the car is getting 8.5-12.7* of retard @ 9.9psi.

How do I know the boost is @ 9.9psi?
My boost sensing harness is telling me so. (I am holding the calibration of it, user error, as suspect #1)

Here are the numbers:

Pass #1

LV8: 255
TPS: 1.71
Int: 128
O2: 785
MAF: 160 gps
BLM: 136
Boost: 9.9
Coolant: 149*
Road Spd: 56mph
Engine Spd: 2700rpm
ESC: 9
Spark Retard: 8.5*
Mixture: Rich
Loop Status: Closed

There were NO MALF codes.

Pass #2

LV8: 255
TPS: 1.84
Int: 128
O2: 785
MAF: 162 gps
BLM: 136
Boost: 9.9
Coolant: 149*
Road Spd: 45mph
Engine Spd: 2850rpm
ESC: 4
Spark Retard: 12.7*
Mixture: Rich
Loop Status: Closed

Again, no MALF codes.

I am honestly thrown by the prospect of getting this much retard @ 9.9psi. But why would this keep occuring at 9.9psi... because the boost harness wasn't likely calibrated by yours truely.

The MAF GPS, seems a bit low. It is possible that my MAF just crapped out... and isn't seeing quite what it is supposed to. But that doesn't explain the TPS and O2s. Not to mention that the car runs fine, like the MAF is okay. Hmm....

Unless all of the parameters were out of whack from the get-go?

I go do some more "testing" but it 2:45am and wet out...

On my way to studying I saw the knock retard (recorded runs were working in replay, corrupted files I suppose) and decided to bump my fuel pressure 2.5psi to 42.5 total (I have twin pumps and too much FP makes the car run crappy). The boost has been set to ~19psi since some Toulene tests... so I should likely drop it back down to 17psi, due to the cold air and straight Ultra94.

Thanks for any and all feed back,

------------------
Michael Lis

87 Vortec SS -- 12.7 @ 110 w/ 1.9 60' (This car runs 12s on 87 octane)
Click Here To See Specs
87 Turbo T - 1986.99 WE4 Clone -- 13.7 @ 104mph w/2.2 60'
Click Here To See Specs
See the cars here:
Canadian Skunk Works

Originally posted by myclone
I see you have ODed on retardacylin today. Want me to call an ambulance?

See less See more
#2 ·
Your TPS indicates you were at less than half throttle. If you were in fact at WOT, I can't trust ANY of the readings you're seeing including boost, and have to get to the bottom of why everything is whacked.
Your MAF readings would be about right for that TPS and level of boost.

So, were you at WOT or not? I don't think you ever really said.

Not being much up on TurboLink, I can't be much help as to why the readings are all low?

------------------
TurboDave mailto:dhuinker1@charter.netdhuinker1@charter.net</A>
TurboD Racing
Lone Rock, WI
86 GN11.67@117.51(MAF Xlator+/Extender,BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN 12.95@105.50(Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
My photo albums

#3 ·
Old gas? Add a splash of 100oct to see if the knock goes away.

------------------

'87 GN - Stock Block, Stock Cam, Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
11.92 @ 111.77mph

'87 Mazda RX-7 w/GN Powerplant
12.37 @ 122.26 MPH
Visit : http://www.MisRed.com

mailto:mike@TurboBuicks.commike@TurboBuicks.com</A>

#4 ·
Originally posted by TurboDave:
Your TPS indicates you were at less than half throttle. If you were in fact at WOT, I can't trust ANY of the readings you're seeing including boost, and have to get to the bottom of why everything is whacked.
Your MAF readings would be about right for that TPS and level of boost.

So, were you at WOT or not? I don't think you ever really said.
If I could hazard a guess... I would say I was over 1/2 throttle... but not quite @ WOT, it was raining and I almost spun the car.
I am holding a connection problem suspect for right now.

I mean, what are the odds that it would reach 9.9psi exactly and knock both times? Slim.

Not being much up on TurboLink, I can't be much help as to why the readings are all low?
...Yeah, I am kinda new at this too... it is just nice to finally have a full time scan tool.

Orlando_87GN, I just put fresh 94 in the tank before I took here out. I wonder if they F'ed up at the pump and put the crappy gas in the good gas tank? Wouldn't surprise me.

I also thought that I may have put my race chip in the ECM during some sort of brain-fart excerise.

If the weather clears up... I'll go for a blast or 11. I'll need a break from my homework.

------------------
Michael Lis

Click Here To See Specs
Click Here To See Specs
See the cars here:
Canadian Skunk Works

#5 ·
I know a lot of guys in the club are getting wacked readings with the newer version of T-Link. Most of it is because of EMF. Are you using an inverter? Do you have a battery plugged into the harness? Plugging the battery into the harness seems to really help. Just my 10 cents!

I remember one run down the strip I did, it said I had 30 degrees of knock with 20psi and straight 117 octane. I don't think so! Unless your motor is ready to fall out, your probably getting false knock.

#6 ·
Originally posted by forzfed:
I know a lot of guys in the club are getting wacked readings with the newer version of T-Link. Most of it is because of EMF. Are you using an inverter? Do you have a battery plugged into the harness? Plugging the battery into the harness seems to really help. Just my 10 cents!

I remember one run down the strip I did, it said I had 30 degrees of knock with 20psi and straight 117 octane. I don't think so! Unless your motor is ready to fall out, your probably getting false knock.
Yeah, I am running a power inverter (no battery thingy). Got it at RadioShack yesterday. I guess that I will be going back to purchase the AA battery case-nota9v-thingy. Funny, I just bought some new rechargeable batteries there yesterday too. Hmmph. I may just have to get the 5 year warranty on the inverter, as well.

------------------
Michael Lis

Click Here To See Specs
Click Here To See Specs
See the cars here:
Canadian Skunk Works

#7 ·
As Dave suggested, you were under 1/2 throttle, EGR shoujld have been active and should have helped. Does your EGR work?

Sure nothing mechanical is vibrating at that power level? My DP touches the frame on light accel and my knock gauge goes nuts...just spinning around, to red-start over, to red-start over etc. But anywhere ELSE, its fine. Maybe a possibility?

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block w/girdle, stock rods, TRW's, JE pins, 214/210 roller, TurboMotion port/polished heads w/1.77-1.50 valves, T&D roller rockers, Champ intake w/o EGR, PTE plenum, Accufab 70mm TB, MSD50's, TE63-1 4 bolt, PTE front mount, ATR 4 bolt headers, HKS GT gate, FAST w/65# injectors, JT trans, 3000 vigilante, stock rear w/Hotchkiss arms, and kick ass tunes..

#8 ·
i did the same thing too when i first got t-link. i did a mod to the cable and its fine

#10 ·
Originally posted by forzfed:
Wait!!!! I believe the battery is 6v not 9v!

I know. That is why I said nota9v-thingy.

------------------
Michael Lis

Click Here To See Specs
Click Here To See Specs
See the cars here:
Canadian Skunk Works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.