Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if kirbans 3 inch downpipe is any different than the expensive downpipes that i seeout on the market. if not what down pipe and exaust system works best with the gns.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Kirban's dp is not the same as the Mease or Houston pieces. Kirban's uses the stock elbow and the other two are a one piece design that eliminates the stock elbow all together. ATR has several different ones also but they are like the Houston and Mease (they don't use the stock elbow). IMO if you are going to get a 3" DP get one of the one piece styles and toss the restrictive stock elbow out. I use a Houston and I am completely satified with it. In fact I replaced a Kirban's 3"er with the Houston yup . And it depends on your mods if you will see a difference with any of them.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nasty Wendy:
Kirban's dp is not the same as the Mease or Houston pieces. Kirban's uses the stock elbow and the other two are a one piece design that eliminates the stock elbow all together. ATR has several different ones also but they are like the Houston and Mease (they don't use the stock elbow). IMO if you are going to get a 3" DP get one of the one piece styles and toss the restrictive stock elbow out. I use a Houston and I am completely satified with it. In fact I replaced a Kirban's 3"er with the Houston yup . And it depends on your mods if you will see a difference with any of them.
Can you elaborate on the restrictiveness of the stock elbow and effect upon performance?

·
Registered
882 Posts
A major plus with the Kirban DP is having it delivered likely within less than a week's time.

Nice when a vendor makes rapid deliveries, instead of chronic & repetitive rapid-fire excuses. yup

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Steve Wood:
Nasty Wendy:
Can you elaborate on the restrictiveness of the stock elbow and effect upon performance?
I don't have any flow numbers or any measurable recorded data to prove that the stock elbow is more restrictive than integral unit on a TH. But maybe you can answer a question for me....Why do TRs that are running in the 11's and 12's gain performance when the stock pieces are replaced with a TH or similar DP? And why would one port a stock elbow? Like I said, I don't have any flow numbers to prove it but I'd wager that the answer to both of these questions is because it eliminates/reduces restrictions of the stock pieces. yup

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Nasty Wendy:
Steve Wood:
Nasty Wendy:
I don't have any flow numbers or any measurable recorded data to prove that the stock elbow is more restrictive than integral unit on a TH. But maybe you can answer a question for me....Why do TRs that are running in the 11's and 12's gain performance when the stock pieces are replaced with a TH or similar DP? And why would one port a stock elbow? Like I said, I don't have any flow numbers to prove it but I'd wager that the answer to both of these questions is because it eliminates/reduces restrictions of the stock pieces. yup
Steve is just being a d1ck, Wendy. yup

Elementary fluid dynamics and common sense both indicate that the smoother internal contours of the TH/MPE/ATR units will lend to reduced back pressure, and improved performance when compared to the stock elbow. IMO.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
actually, Mike, I leave the "being a dick part" to you as you do it so superbly.

Wendy, there have been several comparisons done over the years that have shown virtually no improvement over a properly ported stock housing and added on three inch pipe when compared to a one piece unit. I think if you will go read some of your newsletters you can probably find some there as well as the ones reported online over the years.

Perhaps TurboMike will read this and chime in. Facts do not always follow perception. :)

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
There is one beneficial effect a stock elbow has that a THDP or similar pipe does not have.
There have been lots of guys run well into the 11's with a stock W/G housing,some with a stock D/P![ask Grumpy].

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I ran a bone stock elbow down close to 12.4 and the rest of the car was stock.I put on a 3" elbow and downpipe and gained nothing. I'm still running a stock elbow ported and I get to 122mph. I like the stock look. I would gain a little at the point I'm at now with TH or Mease downpipe. At 12.0 and slower spend your money somewhere else. I think TurboMike got his ported elbows down in the 11.0 range.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The Radius Kid:
There is one beneficial effect a stock elbow has that a THDP or similar pipe does not have.
There have been lots of guys run well into the 11's with a stock W/G housing,some with a stock D/P![ask Grumpy].
Me too :cool:

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Now lets see who can guess the effect I'm refering to?
Hint:think Lotus Turbo Esprit. help

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Steve Wood:
actually, Mike, I leave the "being a dick part" to you as you do it so superbly.
Steve, you are grumpier than my 75 year old Grandpa. Chill out... yup :cool:

I think that there are other kinds of performance to be gained from the 3" one-piecers.
Asthetic Performance = big and perdy.
Mechanical Performance = S/S doesn't rust like the stocker; no donuts to blow out or crumble; fewer complex fasteners.
Static Performance = lighter weight... that cast elbow is heavy. eek!

Truthfully, the only reason that I bought my MPE unit was the price. And the fact that one day I planned on actually needing it. That the stocker was ugly. And, the fact that it is an MPE unit makes it a great converstation piece. :D

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
settimi:
I was wondering if kirbans 3 inch downpipe is any different than the expensive downpipes that i seeout on the market. if not what down pipe and exaust system works best with the gns.
My response was to the original question. I don't see where it was asked if there would be a difference between the DPs in question and the Kirban's with a stock PORTED elbow. If you want my opinion on the benefits of a THDP over a Kirban's with a ported stock elbow then......nevermind I tire of defending my attempt to be helpful. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Mike, perhaps you should have paid more attention to your grandfather.

Wendy, performance-wise, there is virtually no difference between the two types, at least at the street car level. Price is the major difference.

I am sorry if your feelings are hurt. I took your answer to mean that performance was improved and was curious to know if you could support that intent. :) I got my answer.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Don't be hurt Wendy,we heard you. :)
We didn't mean to hurt your feelings[sniff].
We was just funnin'.
Still no answer to my question?
Hmm.......
Guess I better start my next section for Vortex.com,eh Steve? help

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think Wendy just gets a commission for selling stuff. Next thing you know, he will be issuing UPS tracking numbers for things that have not shipped!

·
Registered
882 Posts
<strong>

...will be issuing UPS tracking numbers for things that have not shipped!
Only a real "slease" would do something that low-down!
---------------------------------------------

(And then they'd get run outta' town, right?)

Hardeharhar!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nah, they develop a posse that thinks they are cool because they talk trash and lie.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yup,

"Birds (buzzards?) of a feather flock together" is definitely proven daily.

Seems the "slease" Protective Society is more illogical than even the snail darter/spotted owl groupies.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts