Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested a set of each of those springs on Thursday.

Comp. Cams (16 box) tested 75.2 to 82.9 most were at 80-82 or at least a set of 12 were. :D

Kirbans bag of 12 were 98.1 to 102.8. Tightly grouped about 100 mostly.

Tested at 1.727" with 100lb. load cell calibrated to .01% accuracy. :cool:

Weren't my springs I tested them for a fellow TR owner. :)

My old stockers (4) tested at 62.5 to 67.5 tightly grouped and DEAD. wink

112K miles on them.

Also tested a Mclaren F1 front spring, titanium and about 1 3/4" diameter, tested at 700lbs. eek!

Fellow engineer bought it for his mountain bike shock contraption he's fabricating, 8 or so inch shock travel or something.... :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brand new in the bag, I opened them. :)

I believe them to be newer but will check with the owner to be sure on that.

I thought they were a bit strong for an old stock valve train in MHO, who knows people like them so it seems.

18% over spec. is a bit high for me. Even if they relax a bit over time.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read through all my emails.

Found out that they were purchased last summer.

About 9-10 months old but NOS. :D

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually out of the box I had to squish them all one cycle completely to seat the two springs and establish a nominal length for each type.

They ended up all within .010" length anyway after the cycle.

I wonder if that Instron will fit in my trunk. :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
dunno If they are too "stiff" what will that do to performance. I have Kirbans old springs, and I'm not sure what to do. I have 200,000 on my car now. Will it hurt performance if they are too stiff?? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many miles on the Kirban springs?

Prolly help performance until the cam lobes wear if in fact they will at all.

I have no idea what versions or issues of springs he sells there are out there???

They come in a bag with a label that says they will help performance and increase rpms.

Absolutely no technical information or install instructions with them.

I have bought a couple of K$ worth of stuff from him, his springs would be about the last thing I would use...

Just my .02.

·
Registered
293 Posts
BooBoo231cu:
dunno If they are too "stiff" what will that do to performance. I have Kirbans old springs, and I'm not sure what to do. I have 200,000 on my car now. Will it hurt performance if they are too stiff?? Thanks guys!
I wouldnt put them on. A cam with 200k will be more sensitive to pressure. I would go with the comp cams or GM replacement. The Comp 980's are only $40

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a set of Kirbans springs 3 yrs old never used if someone wants to test them? Was afraid they were to strong for my car. If they are you can keep them or trade me for some 980

John

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
salvageV6:
Tested a set of each of those springs on Thursday.

Also tested a Mclaren F1 front spring, titanium and about 1 3/4" diameter, tested at 700lbs. eek!
That's it! Zap could snap that shut with his mouth! yup ugh

<small>[ March 25, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: forzfed ]</small>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the titanium one was cool.

Going on a $5K mountain bike LOL.

I will test your Kirban springs if you want email me and I'll send you the addy.

I'll prolly send them back to you too, you can probably sell them easier if they are profiled with forces for each one. :)

If they are 100lb. I'm sure some use them for aftermarket cams.

Instron will only be here a short time however so hurry up. LOL

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
The springs have been on my car for about 40,000 miles. I don'tnow that much about engines, but my buddie has them in his car, and you feel a big diference. If somthin was gonna break, would it have already done it? Now that they have been on a while, are they softer anyway. Maybe I will be OK then right? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe and yes.

Maybe could be due to continuous wear on the cam. It is a contact sport inside the valve train. wink

Don't know how long it would take to wipe the stocker with heavier springs.

Yes the springs do soften up a bit.

Don't know how much other than with my stockers which is a ton!

If you lose 10lbs. that might be safe. Losing anything would be better than nothing with those springs.

Comp. 980's should wear to the low side of the spec. or just below it.

·
Occasional participant.
154 Posts
Hi Guys,

Those were my springs Allan tested for me. Before I go any further I want to give a big tip of the hat to Allan for doing this for me. :) He's an asset to the TB community. I bought the Kirban's springs last summer and never installed them. I had second thoughts after doing a lot of research on "the boards" about installation of the springs. There was a piece of paper in the bag describing the benefits of installing the springs. The date at the bottom of it was 1997. I can't say if that was when they were packaged or if that was just when they printed the insert. I am not planning on installing them on my car. They may be fine for someone who is installing an aftermarket cam. I will probably try to sell them (along with the double roller Dyna-gear timing set) in the Parts For Sale section. Just call me picky. Or cautious. Time will tell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts