Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a device that allows all of the ECM's values to remain even when the battery dies or is disconnected?

Casper's? THX

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Hmm, excellent question... Maybe like a 9volt battery that can be plugged in somewhere?? I would like to know this also. This would be great especially for the MaxEffort.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep...dat's what I've got...the MaxEffort 16. Heh...found out again!

[This message has been edited by CaPPY (edited July 23, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
thought you were talking about the six million dollar man for a moment....

not sure if nine volts is enuf or not but I am sure a prom guru can say. Would be easy to rig a harness to do it off the ecm wire.

Once you have your programming down the way you want it, you can get Steve to blow you a chip with your settings a defaults.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

maybe we can catch him asleep! But you are right, he has not even blown ol' Stinky out the back door...

·
Registered
221 Posts
9v might be too much. Most of the bats in industrial controllers use 3.2v lithium that is the same size as a AA.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
AS a matter of clarification for those of you with good imaginations, Stinky is his cat!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
AS a matter of clarification for those of you with good imaginations, Stinky is his cat!
...so Steve...let me get this straight...blow?...cat?...back door? Why don't you just let this one go. LOL.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cappy, try this site:
www.eastwoodco.com
Product #25036 9V COMPUTER MEMORY SAVER

I've never used it - just passing the info along.

------------------
Rhett Lee
Had to leave Hawaii for Oregon, but now I have a Turbo Regal!
If only I could get it to run right...

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by Buick T:
9v might be too much. Most of the bats in industrial controllers use 3.2v lithium that is the same size as a AA.
Huh?? The ECM is supplied (on all it's voltage inputs) with 12v battery voltage. It's stepped down internally across zeners to get the needed 5v levels internally. IMHO a 9v battery should suffice on the one input that supplies the static ram chips, only question then would be, would it last long enough.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,BGNRA San Diego,GSCA-5311,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN(MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 L69 Z28

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have seen a small device that plugs into the cig liter, that is made to keep your computer codes and radio setup. It plugs into the lighter. I think it uses a 9V battery

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Why not keep it simple and safe?
Just get a low current relay that switches the ECM load to an alarm gel cel battery, 7-12 AHrs., once power is removed from the relay, meaning the battery dies or is removed.
Feed the gel cel a little alternator current from a wire wound 250 ohm resistor and you're done.

Would be a good way to keep power to an aftermarket alarm as well.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by salvageV6:
Why not keep it simple and safe?
Just get a low current relay that switches the ECM load to an alarm gel cel battery, 7-12 AHrs., once power is removed from the relay, meaning the battery dies or is removed.
Feed the gel cel a little alternator current from a wire wound 250 ohm resistor and you're done.

Would be a good way to keep power to an aftermarket alarm as well.
Problem with that is, you now have introduced a mechanically switched device that depends on the sensing of a loss of voltage to trigger, right?
Keep in mind in only takes a few microseconds to dump the ECM's ram, and the relay can't posibly react fast enough.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,BGNRA San Diego,GSCA-5311,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN(MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 L69 Z28

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Toady & Dave C, thanks I'll check it out.

Salvage's idea could work like the "Computer Memory Saver" if you switched it on before disconnecting the battery. Maybe a low voltage sensor switch might trigger it on before the main battery goes dead?

"Build it and they will come!.

[

[This message has been edited by CaPPY (edited July 27, 2001).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts