Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 84 Gnat delivered. Put all the parts laying around loose back on. Charged the battery. Got spark, got fuel, won't start. Got wet plugs.
I'll be playing "learn all about non carbed cars" as I go. Where do I look next?
David Greenberg
Hereford, AZ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tough question. When I had my 85 GN I had the engine rebuilt and, when the guy got it back together, he couldn't get it to start. It would turn over, but no starting up. He replaced most of the sensors, even the computer. It turned out to be a pinched wire. If I recall correctly it was one of the three wires on the plug for the cam sensor. Hope this helps.

------------------
Fast, but wanna be faster!!!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Crank sensor centered in the fire ring properly?

Does the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds when you first turn the ignition ON?

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pump does do that. The most common response is that the cam sensor is not in the correct position. Is that a simple adjustment? The engine has been assembled/reassembled by a few different people since it was last in a car and running. I know the harmonic balancer was replaced. I assume that would require the removal of the cam sensor. Don't know about the crank sensor.

Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
Crank sensor centered in the fire ring properly?

Does the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds when you first turn the ignition ON?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The most common response is that the cam sensor is not in the correct position. Is that a simple adjustment?
http://www.casperselectronics.com
You will want to buy the Caspers Cam Sensor Tool. A must for any TR guru.. cheap, simple, and will set the cam sensor correctly.

I know the harmonic balancer was replaced. I assume that would require the removal of the cam sensor. Don't know about the crank sensor.
You have it backwards. If the balancer was replaced, the crank sensor was messed with, not the cam sensor. I would look here first. Without a pulse from the crank sensor, the car will not start.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very true. My crank sensor died on me one day going down the street. I floored it just cause slow traffic was getting me p.o'd and when I let off(too quickly) the sudden shut-down cause my car to cut off from not having a blow-off valve. When I tried to re-start it I had no luck. Had a suspicion the crank sensor was going bad for a while(it made a ticking noise). Replaced it([email protected] bucks) and all was well.

------------------
Fast, but wanna be faster!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is definetly not firing on time. If the cam sensor was off, it would start. As long as there is fuel entering the cylinder (whether it is sitting on the valve, or spraying from the injector), it will start. Make sure the plug wires are on right too.

------------------
1986 Grand National ???
1985 T-Type [email protected]
1996 Impala SS [email protected]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Don't forget about compression

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got around 90 lbs dry. Where is the crank sensor located? I've got some pretty ugly wires. I'd like to check connections. The can sensor wires look good.
Don't forget about compression

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it should fire if it had fuel and spark, but someone said the cam sensor would let it fire if it were off by 180 degrees, but not if it were anywhere between. I checked the wires. Pulled a plug and watched the spark.
Originally posted by hotair85t-type:
It is definetly not firing on time. If the cam sensor was off, it would start. As long as there is fuel entering the cylinder (whether it is sitting on the valve, or spraying from the injector), it will start. Make sure the plug wires are on right too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts