Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am new to the sight, and I picked up a 86 Grand National about a week ago. Always wanted one when they came out, and finally got one. I live in Jersey and found this one about 4 hours away in upstate NY. It has only 39k miles on it, interior is clean, nice ride, almost 100 percent original. Larger aftermarket turbo, (have original in the trunk), aftermarket radio, (don't know where original radio is), and that is it for the mods. I do have a problem with it. Got some white smoke out of the oil dipstick tube, hoping it is nothing major, any ideas?

Always liked General Motors cars from the 80's, actually kind of stuck there, still like the music, but lost most of my hair long ago. My first old car that I still own is a 1982 Camaro Z28 Pace Car with only 59k on it, picked that up about 9 years ago.

Grand National is the best of both worlds, from the drive home when purchasing it (about 300 miles), it had great power, and room for five, nice! Can take the whole family cruising, something that is almost impossible with the Z28 that I have.

New to turbo engines, never owner or drove one before, always wanted the Grand National, and extremely happy with the puchase, but if I can get that smoke issue cleared, it would make my life awesome.

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
Welcome to the forum...
" Got some white smoke out of the oil dipstick tube, hoping it is nothing major, any ideas?"
Are you sure that's 39K, or is it 139K?
The white smoke can well be coolant being in the oil. Usually due to a blown head gasket.
I'd suggest you find out ASAP, as coolant WILL take out the bearings...In short order.
Any diagnostic tools on board, such as Scanmaster, oil psi, water temp gauges?
If not GET them, asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, glad to join, the car fax report goes back to 1991, and mileage according to the car fax is accurate. Previous owner installed aux guages for oil and temp. Oil pressure flux between 25 -50 (50 is mid gauge) and temp around 165. Car always has oil when I pull the dipstick, and no oil on the ground. I do see oil around the oil cooler, I am having that replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love them Pace Cars jmaffeo. I have an 81 Daytona TTA Pace Car and a 89 TTA Indy Pace Car. Both are in full graphics. Missed my chance at an 82 Pace Car a few years ago. That blue and silver really goes good together. Sure would like to have the chance at that 81 T-Type Indy Pace Car, but that is an impossible dream.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts