Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't have HPBooks Turbochargers by MacInnes, it's time for you to get a copy.

Starting on Pg 133 he goes into fine detail about water/ alky injection, and has the charts, and graphs to document what he says.

A couple items worthy of note, are that fuel will only work up until a certain point (for detonation suppression). Overly rich fuel can cause detonation. Also some test data from using 87 Octane gas.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
EEyup.
Got all three versions of his book. :yup:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Radius Kid said:
EEyup.
Got all three versions of his book.
I lost my first printing when a Tornado, remodeled my lil library (and the rest of the house).....

Managed to borrow an old copy of Obert dated '77. Now to find Glass's Book, and reread it..... Seems like when you read one of these tech. books, and then go back to one you've already read, it's like reading it again for the first time.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I understand there is a recent update out. From a theoretical stance, it seems to be the best available..the book, in general, not the update.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
earlbrown said:
There's three?

Yes Sir.
There's the original with the red cover and carbed setup[dual turbos IIRC].
Then there's the blue cover with turbo'd SBC.
Finally there's the gold cover[circa 1984,IIRC].
You can usually find them on EBay.
I hadn't heard about a current version,but I'll look for it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
It seems to be a version on turboing that author wrote on his own.
They've bundled it with Hugh's book.
Good info though.
Thanks.
Another good book on forced induction is Corky Bell's book on supercharging.
That's a good book.
His book on turbocharging is just tedious tripe to me[far to much time wasted on math-last two chapters on V/N turboing].
The thing I like about Hugh's books is that he gets the math out of the way in the first chapter or so.
The rest of the book is concepts.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The guy posted on a forum that he had been asked to do a rewrite for hp books on Hugh's original book..that's all I know :)

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Steve Wood said:
The guy posted on a forum that he had been asked to do a rewrite for hp books on Hugh's original book..that's all I know :)
Okay,I gotcha'.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I wondered where I got that link from! :D

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
I've got the new one on the way (along with a replacement copy of the origonal).

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Radius Kid said:
Another good book on forced induction is Corky Bell's book on supercharging.
That's a good book.
IMO, you need to remember he's selling his own conversion kits, and thus some of his *views* are based on sales rather then data. His statement about water/ alky injection being a bandaid for poorly designed system, is contrary to all the NACA research.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
His statement about water/ alky injection being a bandaid for poorly designed system, is contrary to all the NACA research.
NACA? Oh yeah, they did the research that proved that bumblebees can't fly- and that it's impossible to put a satellite in orbit! Been out of business since what- 1958? :D

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ormand said:
NACA? Oh yeah, they did the research that proved that bumblebees can't fly- and that it's impossible to put a satellite in orbit! Been out of business since what- 1958? :D
http://www.paghat.com/beeflight.html.
* The "science has proved that bees can't fly" urban myth originated in a 1934 book by entomologist Antoine Magnan, who discussed a mathematical equation by Andre Sainte-Lague, an engineer. The equation proved that the maximum lift for an aircraft's wings could not be achieved at equivalent speeds of a bee. I.e., an airplane the size of a bee, moving as slowly as a bee, could not fly. Although this did not mean a bee can't fly (which after all does not have stationary wings like the posited teency aircraft), nevertheless the idea that Magnan's book said bees oughtn't be able to fly began to spread. *

Then try:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/SP-440/ch6-3.htm

You really should learn how to use google, so that you don't look to be so uninformed.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ormand said:
I see that you finally learned to spell GOOGLE, instead of GOGGLE. Speaking of uninformed...
You're the one that rants about being so well educated.
Beings a country kid, I've made no pretences about being being smarter then others, and using terms, like *it's not rocket science* in my replies when I try to explain something to someone.

It's laughable how you had to dig back in past posts to drag up a typo, LMAO, talk about a frail ego.

Let's see a typo, vs stating complete and total nonsense?, LMAO......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts