Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fast with class Datsun?
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are going slow. I want to get this sucker on the road! I'm waiting for a heater core to show up, then I can put my dash with the Dakota Digital gauges back in. Once that is in, I can hook the gauges up to the engine. I still need to buy Direct Scan to monitor things. Here's what's left to do:

-Run the fuel lines (anyone have a recomendation for a fuel filter?)
-I need to redo the front turn signals to make it legal to be on the road (simple fix, just haven't had the time)
-I lost my tranny dipstick! Damnit! I need to find another one.
-Need to buy a shifter for the 200R4 (recomendations? I was looking at the Hammer shifter, but those still look cheesey/cheap)
-Install the tranny cooler and fill the tranny
-Make coolant pipes. I need one to go from 1 5/16" to 1 1/2" and the other to go from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". Should take a few hours to fab that up. Just need the connectors and some mild steel bends. Anybody know of a place to get some mild steel bends cheap?
-Get new intercooler t-bolt clamps and connectors.
-Run new front and rear brake lines. I needed to move the front brake lines for the swap and the rear has an adjustable proportioning valve that needs to be relocated.
-Remove rear sway bar, because it won't fit with the 280ZX half shafts. When I go to 300ZX half shafts, there will be more clearence and I can put it back on.
-Fix the steering rack. It slides left and right to much, because of poorly designed polyurethane bushings.
-Install the spark plug wires
-Heat wrap the downpipe.
-Figure out this damn turbo oil feed line
-Find a MAT/IAT sensor since nobody around here knows what one is.

Well, that's what needs to be done so far. A lot of little things.

·
Metro6ual
360 Posts
A couple of quick notes...

Either go with Stainless radiator tubing bends or they'll rust.

You can always run the turbo return into the pan or front cover if you're having clearance issues.

Fuel filter, shop ebay for an Aeromotive or similar, they show up often enough.

Baker precision for silicone hoses.

McMaster Carr for the T-bolt clamps.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
My favorite shifter is the Pro-Rachet (you should have taken it :D :D). Any aftermarket shifter is going to look out of place in the Z console unless you mount it UNDER the floor which is what I did with the RX7 (major PITA). Here is a pic of mine before I powder-coated it black which made a big difference in helping it blend in. If the problem is that you do not want to cut the console, then forget about aftermarket shifters and try to do piece something together with a stock TR shifter or a C4 Vette shifter but it will be winter before you get that done :D.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have a TH200-4R trans dipstick and tube if you need one.

If you are running the stock style pickup/filter in the trans make sure you overfill it by 1 quart or it will become uncovered under hard accelleration and the car either slip at the top of the gear and/or not shift properly.

·
Fast with class Datsun?
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the offer Mark, but Scottie was kind enough to offer up a spare one to me. I like it, it's cut down and not such an eyesore in the engine compartment. Thanks again Scottie! :cool:

That is good to know about the pickup on the transmission. I'm not sure what I have exactly. It's just a mild build from Jimmy's in Illinois. I'll have to contact him and find out.

Little by little things are getting crossed off the list. These coolant hoses are a real pain in the butt. With the metal pipe and connectors, I'll have a couple hundred dollars into them! Did not figure on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts