Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I live in FL and my old regal (383 supercharged)
use to run it's coolest with the thermostat completly removed. I'm not worried about freezing down here to say the least.

Would a GN run cooler with the thermo completly removed???? Or would the water circulate to quickly and not have enough time to cool?

------------------
Currently driving a Nasty A$$ GST mitsubishi.13.80's though! Looking everywhere for a GN help!!

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
You will want at least a restricter in there as NO thermostat causes coolant to mobe too fast and not pick up heat as well. Put a 160 stat in there.

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block w/girdle, stock rods, TRW's, JE pins, 214/210 roller, TurboMotion port/polished heads w/1.77-1.50 valves, T&D roller rockers, Champ intake w/o EGR, PTE plenum, Accufab 70mm TB, MSD50's, TE63-1 4 bolt, PTE front mount, ATR 4 bolt headers, HKS GT gate, FAST w/65# injectors, JT trans, 3000 vigilante, stock rear w/Hotchkiss arms, and kick ass tunes..

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have not run a thermostat in years in my GN. Living in TX don't need one. I took my old stat and cut the center out of it and put the housing back. With RMI and water on the hottest summer day, after a pass at the track (98+ deg with 80% humidity) the car does not get over 180 and will come down to 140 to 160 very quickly, usually by the time I get back from the return road.

Take Care

------------------
Neal Whyte
87 GN 9.71 @ 140
Free your mind and the rest will follow

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NastyGN....... What other componets do you have in your cooling system? I.E. radiator, water pump? Are they all stock?

Thanks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I was having cooling problems in my GN during the triple digit days. I put in a new radiator and changed to 25coolant/75water mix. The car runs at 170* and will get to 185 in traffic. If I have the AC on, it will slowly reach 210* if I let it sit for 10min. Then the fan will turn on high and the car cools back down to 185*(173* if the AC is not on). If you are still running the stock radiator/water pump, that could be your problem.

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, Accel yellow tops, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster v2.1, T-Link, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, Hotchkis lower control arms, variable rate rear springs, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock as far as I can tell...or too meaningless to list.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

·
Not Toyota Certified
396 Posts
Wouldn't you want the thermostat in to control water temp? It gives the water in the radiator time to cool off before going back through the motor. correct? If you take it out the water does not have as much time to cool down giving more erratic temperature changes. I'd rather stick with my 160 thermostat.

[This message has been edited by SurferX (edited October 28, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If the thermostat is working correctly, the car should not run any cooler without it than with it-assuming a 160 deg unit. The thermostat does allow the engine to come up to a reasonable temp faster in order to burn off the water, etc. in the oil.

This is particularly important in colder climates but is probably not a significant factor in areas like Florida or Houston.

Engines that run significantly cooler than 160 probably wear out quicker as parts do not expand to design tolerances as well as the prior mentioned oil contaminant (liquid) burn off.

If the engine does not run cool with a 160 deg stat, then removing it will not make much difference unless it was stuck and not opening fully.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Originally posted by VxTurboxV:
NastyGN....... What other componets do you have in your cooling system? I.E. radiator, water pump? Are they all stock?

Thanks.

Other than getting a new core from Nick Micale [email protected] that fit my stock tanks the system is stock. Nick's core is a large tube 3 core that works really well IMOP and is the best bang for the buck. I have friends here in Texas that have use his rad with a front mount in the dead of summer and had no over heating problem.

Take Care

------------------
Neal Whyte
87 GN 9.71 @ 140
Free your mind and the rest will follow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts