Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to put together a super long post with history and back story, but it was so long that you guys would probably think I am crazy. So I will make it simple.

This coming Saturday, my father is passing down his highly modified, one-owner 1987 GN. I have loved the car since it was new and I finally get to take it home. My father explained that he wanted to be alive to see me enjoy it. We have a long history of building cars, engines and racing a couple of them.

I am very excited to take what I can from this forum to get rolling on something new for me. I have never been involved with a car like this, but am skilled and will certainly listen to those who know these cars best.

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The next order of business is figuring out exactly what the car's situation is. Unfortunately, my dad is having issues with Alzheimer's in its earlier stages and cannot cite all the details he wants to about the car. I have been trying to compile a list as we go to put it all together.

Dad was more interested in performance than collectability. Over the years, much has been changed. Some of it will be easy to find, other stuff, like he did with the engine build in the 90's will not. Back then, he explained that if he ever wanted to get real HP out of it and not lose reliability, that he would need to do the build the way he did. All the internals have been removed, replaced or re-worked.

The transmission had a fortune put into it, dad would not stop reminding me to keep that transmission and even if it was smoked, to never give it up even if I replaced it. Guess he really put out some dough and time on that. It also has a stall convertor, but I am unsure of it's range as dad could not tell me from memory. That should be fairly easy to get a feel for.

Down pipe is on at this time, but the old man is convinced that for me to title the car here in WA, that I will need to take it through inspection at the State Patrol and he demands that I remove and cap it until it is licensed. I think he is just paranoid, but I will honor his request.

He claims that in it's current state, that it is running 14psi and that if I just left it where it is, I could run pump gas and not worry about it. He told me to not mess with the boost unless I swapped the chip under the passenger kick-panel and ran race gas. He also said that I would need the interface for a laptop, which I already have. That once the changes were made, I could run 25psi.

In my early teens, I learned the ropes by assisting the old man in building a variety of GM vehicles. Some from the ground up and two of them were raced. Out of all the SB/BB Chevy and Ford engines we used, none of them ever required a chain to prevent tweaking. This one does and it looks so simple.

Dad did explain that the fuel delivery system could support up to 650HP, but that the car is running more in the 500's. It's last dyno run had it just hitting the 500 mark, but a change or two has even been made since that last run.

I will get as much factual info as I can once I have the car here next week. Hopefully, there are some here that can help decipher the mystery so I know exactly what I have and what things have changed in the last 10 years to improve the car if needed at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, trying to get my 5 posts in without getting to technical, so I have an idea. I can break up the record size post I was going to make here into 5 different pieces, because it is so big, that it needs an intermission. it is the entire story of how the GN became a family member.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can hardly contain myself. I have been looking at this car since I returned home from the Navy in 1989. My dad loved it so much, that when it came time to consolidate, he chose to sell off his 1991 ZR1 Corvette instead of the GN. That the GN was faster. I will need to give it some standard TLC and he told me that because of the extreme heat where he lives, that even in the garage, the heat broke down the adhesive holding up the headliner. So I will need to handle that. Otherwise, the car is in excellent shape and as is turn-key ready.

5 more days!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know the feeling, I finally got my dream car, drove it home and it has been snowing ever since. It sucks to have a machine like that just sitting in the garage under a cover. All I can do is sit and look at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here we go on the ride home.

I have been buffing, polishing and rubbing out everything I can find. Cut out the headliner. Fan belt making all sorts of noise so that is next. Once we let it get settled in with a lot of idling and easy driving (It had a dead battery for a long time) I decided to give it a spool. First time, I think I busted the adjustable steering column, almost the wheel it pulled so hard. The second time I busted the shifter handle. Guess those items don't like 200 pounds with gforce pulling you back.

I will order a new shifter handle, but does anyone know of one that might be a little more "solid" with function? I suppose it would just be better if I didn't have my hands on it when launching. LOL.. I swear, you would think these cars are rare or something. I drove it to the auto parts store and the old girl was like a Super Model that just walked into the closest bar to the Navy base after Basic Training. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts