Business or Information Technology

• Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I am finishing up my degree in Business Admin right now, and I will be done in a little over a month. I am having a hard time debating on what I want to do. I got into the Business program just to check it out, and it was only an associates. Now I am finishing it up and I have a 3.4 right now, but I am working on getting that up. I am not sure if I want to go into Business for my BBA or BIT. If I went the business route, I would do accounting and finance, b/c I notice that there is a huge need for those type of guys on the federal side. I would probably look at programming if I was to go into IT.
Ok, now to the point. :D How do you IT guys like your jobs and how do you business guys like your jobs? Also, how long did it take you to find something once you got done with school? I guess im in a pretty good system as far as jobs go, but I will need a degree, before I even have a chance. Let me know what you guys had to go through and how you like your jobs.
Thanks
Charles

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
I voted even though I am not in either field

Seems to me the IT has the most u side. I wouldn't want to work for the government.

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Well I am in the IT side but not programming. I am on the network-infastructure side "techie" as they call us. Anyway I love my job very challenging and there is always something new coming out that you have to learn. I do phone switches too which was something that I didn't learn in school but learned with exprience. It all depends on how you feel about it honeslty. I have dabbled(sp?) in programming and really dont like it. You know database pogramming is pretty huge, espcecially on the financial side of things. Maybe you want to look at SQL programming or similar languages. :dunno:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Charles,

Congrats on your pending degree! I would actually hedge my bets-- shoot for a job in Information Technology and try to continue on and get an MBA (sooner rather than later)-- preferably paid by your employer.

That means someday you'll have two avenues to pursue-- if you want to get into business or project management, etc. you'll have the Master's plus hands-on IT which sets you apart as a "practical" and not just "theory" guy.

On the other hand, if you really like the tech arena you'll be a hotter prospect with the MBA-- more respect and people will know you understand the operations of the business. If I were hiring and had a choice of IT-experienced guys, but one had an MBA, the MBA would win.

Best advice I can offer is that "the person who knows how will always have a job, and the person who knows why will always be his boss."

Good luck!

Doug
GNXcess

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GNXcess said:
Charles,

Congrats on your pending degree! I would actually hedge my bets-- shoot for a job in Information Technology and try to continue on and get an MBA (sooner rather than later)-- preferably paid by your employer.

That means someday you'll have two avenues to pursue-- if you want to get into business or project management, etc. you'll have the Master's plus hands-on IT which sets you apart as a "practical" and not just "theory" guy.

On the other hand, if you really like the tech arena you'll be a hotter prospect with the MBA-- more respect and people will know you understand the operations of the business. If I were hiring and had a choice of IT-experienced guys, but one had an MBA, the MBA would win.

Best advice I can offer is that "the person who knows how will always have a job, and the person who knows why will always be his boss."

Good luck!

Doug
GNXcess
Thanks for that info Doug, that was good stuff. I think I have my mind made up now. I dont think that I will do programming though, I just remembered how much I didnt like software engineering. lol I will more than likely do the Network Admin program.

Thanks
Charles

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I have a two year in computer programming. It will crack you up. I was normal before I took programming. :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zap said:
I have a two year in computer programming. It will crack you up. I was normal before I took programming. :)
Why do you say that it will crack me up Zap? Can you not do anything with the two year degree?

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
It's just that programming will crack you up. I don't think I would want to do it every day. A couple days a week would be OK, but programming 5 days a week would just be too stressfull. Wasn't unusual for me to do a 24+ hour programming bender during the weekends to try and get some of the assignments done. I would personally rather do what joenational does (IT). When I took programming they tended to teach a lot of languages, which I don't really think is the right approach. If you understand the logic, the language doesn't really matter and is not that hard to learn and port. I would rather deal with the hardware end of things, I think.

If I did programming for a living they would have to pay me well. :yup:

One of my Computer Science Teachers suggested a Major in Business with a minor in Computer Science, which is probably a good approach.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Zap. I would like to do hardware, since I am good at it, but I dont see any jobs that are open, where they are looking for hardware guys. I know that they need network admin guys, but they have to know quite a bit.

Charles

Zap said:
It's just that programming will crack you up. I don't think I would want to do it every day. A couple days a week would be OK, but programming 5 days a week would just be too stressfull. Wasn't unusual for me to do a 24+ hour programming bender during the weekends to try and get some of the assignments done. I would personally rather do what joenational does (IT). When I took programming they tended to teach a lot of languages, which I don't really think is the right approach. If you understand the logic, the language doesn't really matter and is not that hard to learn and port. I would rather deal with the hardware end of things, I think.

If I did programming for a living they would have to pay me well. :yup:

One of my Computer Science Teachers suggested a Major in Business with a minor in Computer Science, which is probably a good approach.

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Yes, that is true for the admin portion they do want guys that have been around for a while. but most of the admins started out with doing just hardware or software support. Zap is correct also when I was studying for my degree i was learning a lot of different languages and did not enjoy it. One or two is good to at least have some theory in. but each one is so unique. where as hardware, software, network etc... is kind of universal or if you at least have the logic behind it then you can take it from there. Also what I always thought of doing was getting another degree in business administration so that i can run the IT dept. With having both the IT degree and a buisness degree you have the best of both worlds. You can run the dept from an administrative perspective and an IT perspective. A double whammy if you will :. hope this helps a little bit. if you have any other questions just ask because when i was studying i was so afraid of being in situations that i couldn't handle for expample when servers go down or internet connectivity goes down. two huge problems in offices amongst(sp?) others

1 - 10 of 10 Posts