Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I know it has been rumored that the standard motor and acdelco ignition modules are the same, can anyone verify if this is true?
I know that the cam sensors are the same, but i dont know about the module.

I had a coil short and take out one of the module towers. I just bought this module (acdelco) about 2 years and maybe 3000 miles ago and dont want to spend another $180 to replace it. new coil just ran me $100 :rolleyes:

I attached a pic of the coil pack, ive been delaing with theese cars for a while and have never seen this before.

Thanks,
Mike
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
GNX423 said:
Hello,
I know it has been rumored that the standard motor and acdelco ignition modules are the same, can anyone verify if this is true?
I've had all sorts of problems with new Standard, and Wells modules, so I doubt they're the same internally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
NO

I refuse to use Standard or any aftermarket component, on items that are computer or driveability related. As a long time tech I have seen so many issues using aftermarket modules, sensors, and actuators that it makes me cry to think of how many peices of aftermarket JUNK I have had to replace for free.

Standard is NOT ACDelco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
On standard modules they are made over seas I think China or Tiwan(sp). Where as GM is made in mexico :D
 

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
Joined
·
18,613 Posts
sandt38 said:
NO

I refuse to use Standard or any aftermarket component, on items that are computer or driveability related. As a long time tech I have seen so many issues using aftermarket modules, sensors, and actuators that it makes me cry to think of how many peices of aftermarket JUNK I have had to replace for free.

Standard is NOT ACDelco.
Standard like Kem and Wells, rebox many parts also. I've gotten new wrapped Delco TPS's in Standard boxes. Same is true for there cam sensor and other parts. My last Kem crank sensor was a reboxed GM. You can't just say NO to ALL aftermarket parts. You really have to open the box or find out like this thread about past experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
ULYCYC said:
Standard like Kem and Wells, rebox many parts also. I've gotten new wrapped Delco TPS's in Standard boxes. Same is true for there cam sensor and other parts. My last Kem crank sensor was a reboxed GM. You can't just say NO to ALL aftermarket parts. You really have to open the box or find out like this thread about past experience.
I've also gotten ACDelco labled Standard MASS Airflow sensors that definately weren't ACDelco.

As a professional who does not get paid for reinstalling a faulty part, I do say no to aftermarket. Sorry, but I have spent countless hours rediagnosing and re-replacing faulty aftermarket parts, which have a vastly greater failure/defect rate then factory.

Have you ever diagnosed a $1200 computer, and replace it and suffer the exact same failure issue? Spend hours backtracing your steps (and not getting paid for it because you are on straight commission), knowing everything checked to a "t", but having to recheck it because there is no way that you can replace the computer with an aftermarket unit and have the exact same failure... only to find out the remanufacturing process never addressed a somewhat common failure issue on a car you have never had experiance with... I did, on a mid-90s Geo Tracker... you know one that doesn't flash codes or provide any communication, just a hard check engine light.

Old GM HEI ignition modules... "Standard box, Standard failure" was what we called them.

I have had way too many bad experiances... and Standard does make their own ignition modules, so they are NOT reboxed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
ULYCYC said:
Standard like Kem and Wells, rebox many parts also. I've gotten new wrapped Delco TPS's in Standard boxes. Same is true for there cam sensor and other parts. My last Kem crank sensor was a reboxed GM. You can't just say NO to ALL aftermarket parts. You really have to open the box or find out like this thread about past experience.
When a manufacturer offers a *full line*, and has problems meeting demand, then from time to time you might get a reboxed piece, but it's a rarity.

On other case/ example, is if, you buy a Bosch WB for the Hondas, it will be a NTK unit, since they hold a patent on it.
 

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
Joined
·
18,613 Posts
sandt38 said:
I've also gotten ACDelco labled Standard MASS Airflow sensors that definately weren't ACDelco.

As a professional who does not get paid for reinstalling a faulty part, I do say no to aftermarket. Sorry, but I have spent countless hours rediagnosing and re-replacing faulty aftermarket parts, which have a vastly greater failure/defect rate then factory.

Have you ever diagnosed a $1200 computer, and replace it and suffer the exact same failure issue? Spend hours backtracing your steps (and not getting paid for it because you are on straight commission), knowing everything checked to a "t", but having to recheck it because there is no way that you can replace the computer with an aftermarket unit and have the exact same failure... only to find out the remanufacturing process never addressed a somewhat common failure issue on a car you have never had experiance with... I did, on a mid-90s Geo Tracker... you know one that doesn't flash codes or provide any communication, just a hard check engine light.

Old GM HEI ignition modules... "Standard box, Standard failure" was what we called them.

I have had way too many bad experiances... and Standard does make their own ignition modules, so they are NOT reboxed.
The Maf you seen are rebuilt unit. Not a good example. Were talking new parts.
I'm also a pro and been in the business longer then I can to remember. Factory parts are also made offshore and other countries just like Standard. Many parts are made on the same workbench in Mexico or Hong Kong. Like I said you can't blanket the whole product line as bad. Just like you can't say all Delco parts are bad like there faulty antidrainbacks in PF52 oil filters. I try and use factory or Delco parts but when not available or known reboxed are known and cheaper I will use it.
I'm retired business owner so I don't worry about commission. I also wouldn't use an after-market computer and waste time in the first place. :cool:
 

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
sandt38 said:
I've also gotten ACDelco labled Standard MASS Airflow sensors that definately weren't ACDelco.
AC/Delco offers what I refer to as "the budget line". They buy what ever they can from whoever they can that is the cheapest price. Its just marketing to help the dealers compete with the aftermarket. Your MAF experience is the perfect example. I have found that a lot of the electrical parts are by Cardone. I also shy away from selling those parts to only because of all of the warranty BS when a part is defective. And as was pointed out by Ed and Bruce every company does it. Its just a matter of economics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
I just bought 5 Standard PC16's from my local parts house for $39.50 each.They are all AC Delco cam sensors in Standard boxes...

Are there any more off brand parts that we should be looking for that are reboxed AC Delco?
 

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
Joined
·
18,613 Posts
broke1 said:
I just bought 5 Standard PC16's from my local parts house for $39.50 each.They are all AC Delco cam sensors in Standard boxes...

Are there any more off brand parts that we should be looking for that are reboxed AC Delco?
I have seen in Kem brand tps, crank, oil pressure and AC cycle switch in AC delco sealed plastic wrapped and reboxed with Kem numbers. You really have to go to the store and open up the box before you buy it. This can change by what's available. I picked up a coil for someone with a relabed Delco box and a GP Sorrenson lable on it. New Delco coil inside with delco instructions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
broke1 said:
I just bought 5 Standard PC16's from my local parts house for $39.50 each.They are all AC Delco cam sensors in Standard boxes...

Are there any more off brand parts that we should be looking for that are reboxed AC Delco?

Many Sears Die-Hards are Delco built. Any time you see a "green eye" or built in hydrometer on a battery, it is a Delco ;) . Yes, this includes many Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and *gasp* Ford Motorcraft batteries.

However the true professional level Delco battery bears an ACDelco label (just like their parts). There is a differance. Ask most people who have purchased a Die-Hard and a Delco.
 

·
nero v. 2.0
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
sandt38 - your signature kicks ass!!!


:headbang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
ULYCYC said:
The Maf you seen are rebuilt unit. Not a good example. Were talking new parts.

...

Just like you can't say all Delco parts are bad like there faulty antidrainbacks in PF52 oil filters.

...

I also wouldn't use an after-market computer and waste time in the first place. :cool:
No sir, it was new. As mentioned above, Delco also builds entry level componentry for aftermarket companies. You will also see Echlin "delco" MAF sensors that are labled as new that come out of the box as failures.
...
Like I said failure and defect rates are significantly less on factory compared to aftermarket companies. I never implied Factory was perfect.
...
Sorry, $2000+ for a factory reman from the dealer was more then they would spend, and the 5 day wait was more than they wanted to sit around for. There were no new computers offered. Like you said, sometimes you just have to use aftermarket. Remember when I said I never use aftermarket? Well... sometimes, you know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
nero said:
sandt38 - your signature kicks ass!!!


:headbang:
TY, if you have some favorite shots of your car or motor, and want me to make you one I would be glad to. I am somewhat proficient with photoshop. I have some larger ones that I like too, but I don't know what our size alotments are here. But I enjoy killing time with photoshop, so let me know... or heck, anyone let me know.









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I've had all sorts of problems with new Standard, and Wells modules, so I doubt they're the same internally.
i
Hello,
I know it has been rumored that the standard motor and acdelco ignition modules are the same, can anyone verify if this is true?
I know that the cam sensors are the same, but i dont know about the module.

I had a coil short and take out one of the module towers. I just bought this module (acdelco) about 2 years and maybe 3000 miles ago and dont want to spend another $180 to replace it. new coil just ran me $100 :rolleyes:

I attached a pic of the coil pack, ive been delaing with theese cars for a while and have never seen this bef
Hello,
I know it has been rumored that the standard motor and acdelco ignition modules are the same, can anyone verify if this is true?
I know that the cam sensors are the same, but i dont know about the module.

I had a coil short and take out one of the module towers. I just bought this module (acdelco) about 2 years and maybe 3000 miles ago and dont want to spend another $180 to replace it. new coil just ran me $100 :rolleyes:

I attached a pic of the coil pack, ive been delaing with theese cars for a while and have never seen this before.

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hello,
I know it has been rumored that the standard motor and acdelco ignition modules are the same, can anyone verify if this is true?
I know that the cam sensors are the same, but i dont know about the module.

I had a coil short and take out one of the module towers. I just bought this module (acdelco) about 2 years and maybe 3000 miles ago and dont want to spend another $180 to replace it. new coil just ran me $100 :rolleyes:

I attached a pic of the coil pack, ive been delaing with theese cars for a while and have never seen this before.

Thanks,
Mike
i would use delphi as they are same as ac delco. standard ignition is based in s.c. i wouldnt use different as may cause e.c.m. issue. one review says standard blue streak only last him 6 mths and others have no issue.? also standard ignition blue st is made in poland. cant be same as ac delco imo .
I've had all sorts of problems with new Standard, and Wells modules, so I doubt they're the same internally.
i read both companys are based in poland. they dont make it clear. delphi is same as ac delco so i prefer delphi and about same price as standard blue streak. try to always go oem =ac delco or delphi with G.M. products.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top