Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some fresh thoughts on this:

Just installed my engine- a freshened up (OEM timing set, bearings, new style std volume front cover) 112k engine, which ran fine in the old car. Heads have never been off.

On startup- oil pressure is great- 60 psi, which drops to a hot idle of 18-20, but will only raise to a max of about 35-40 PSI @ WOT. Sender is an electrical VDO, which will be checked by a mechanical gauge this weekend.

The tick starts after about 15-20 minutes of run time; after about 5 minutes of ticking, it fades away, and it's back to ops as normal. Performance never drops off at this time- the car feels strong and sounds great (except for that damn tick!). Happens every morning- after the morning dose of engine ticking, I car drive the car all day without incident.

Front cover was blueprinted per earl brown's recipe
Pulled the DS valve cover- #3E is rotating fine (about 1/2 the speed of the other pushrods).
Checked the cam sensor- fine.
Checked the crank sensor- fine.
Checked the oil- a tiny hint of aluminum particles, but no copper or brass colored particles.

No leaks anywhere.

Ok- have at it- thanks for the assist!

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
New cam, lifters, springs, etc??

If not I think you found the noise :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no, and no.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
112k miles and you put a band-aid on it. Those overlooked pieces are where your noise is coming from :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you checked headers? could be an exhaust leak. Specially if you hear it "on top of the engine." I had one shortly after my new build and was fixed by some spot welding on the outside of the header.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Headers are fine- no exhaust leaks. Sounds almost like a Rhoads lifter on steroids.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts