Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running on the stock intercooler, and looking to buy an aftermarker stock location intercooler. I was looking for some suggestions. I'm currently running on a street chip, 009's, stock turbo.

------------------
Best ET= [email protected] 1.78 60' XP Pump, Hot Wire kit, 3" downpipe, Shift Kit, Nitto's, Pete Tomka's Cold air kit, Pinion Snubber, S-10 wheel cylinder's, soft shoes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The CAS V4 is very popular and is the one that I would get. Do a search on V4 and you can see the discussions that have been written up on it. There is a bunch!
Good luck

Kevin

------------------
87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BOOST 25-26 LBS (YEP OVERKILL FOR COMBO), BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, TE44, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Registered
132 Posts
I plan on getting the CAS V4. I hear good things about it.

------------------

87 Turbo T WE4 Astro Roof, TE 44,
868 Injectors, XP+ Fuel Pump, 160 Stat, 3"Down Pipe, Poston Headers and Cross Over Pipe, 2.5" Dual Exhaust, SMC Alcky Kit, 202 202 Cam, Scan Tool, Thraher 92 Chip, Reds 93 Chip, and Casper Thumb Wheel Chip, Nitto Drag Radials 275 50 15's, and Pinion Snubber
http://shanebuickwe4.homestead.com/shanewe4.html

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
I had a V-4 back when they weres till 19 row units... Very nice cooler and stupid me... I forgot to turn the boost down the recommended 3-4 PSI and went out for a test blast... I can verify that the V-4 core waaaay outflows the stocker as I was leaning out and popping at 23 PSI boost vs. 18 with the stocker...

Once I got the car tuned in nicely at 18 PSI it pulled quite hard up top... On my personal car it increased spool up too... car was more rsponsive when mashing it. If I ever buy another I/C this will be the one.

Can't go wrong with a V-4.... Just hope he's got em in stock now...

------------------
1987 Limited Turbo T,
12.28 @ 106 MPH w/a 1.62 60'
My 1987 Regal Limited Turbo T page..

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Agreed. I use the V4 with the stock turbo. It definitely lets you get away with more boost on the stock turbo. Order it from CAS unpainted, and then send it off for some special coating that will increase it's efficiency over being powder coated. Plus, it will look nicer and will not be that gaudy shiny black color. Just my opinion

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
13 Posts
where would or did you send it for the special coating to make it more efficient? just curious. also, what did it cost to coat it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice car!!!

If you want any tips or suggestions for your car, just e-mail me at [email protected]

I have two Buicks.

87 Turbo T, white, high 11
87 Turbo T Limited, high to mid 10

I'll give you my list of mods later on.

And again, you have a real good car. We both know that Buicks are not odinary cars.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Mike, have you seen any proof that the effiency will improve with this special coating?
I am always a bit cynical about some of the claims.

Everything I have been able to find would suggest that powder coating has no significant effect unless gobbed on.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
No proof yet. I can say that after some tests using a Laser Thermometer, that a treated IC cools down much quicker.

Also, any IC that is treated with this stuff seems cooler to the touch than a painted or powder coated one.

I have just purchased a dual peak hold thermometer that I can record some official numbers with.

I will also say, that we have a few of these treated IC's running around, and they all run more boost than you would expect on pump gas..

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Make sure you locate the thermocouples in the air stream, that's the only temperature worth measuring in MHO. Would be a cool test too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts