Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did a search didn't find whats needed to remove old radio, i'd realy hate to break the front plate,how does it come out??

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
mgjbbc said:
did a search didn't find whats needed to remove old radio, i'd realy hate to break the front plate,how does it come out??
on a g-body buick it is held in (face plate that covers radio and ac) by spring clips just take a screwdriver and pry it off from the sides...radio face plate is held in with bolts...radio is also bolted in

·
Owner-TR Custom Parts
1,059 Posts
Easy to do. The radio bezel comes right off but you will probably lose a couple of clips when you pull it off. Easy on the brute force or you may crack it. Radio is held in by just 4 screws. You should be able to remove in about 10 minutes.

Newer CD players require an adapter for the radio antenna and an adapter for the wiring harness, no need to hack anything up. Depending on what model radio you get you may have to get a little creative on adapting your TR brackets to the new radio.

I got my GM CD player off of ebay and had a slight problem with it but the seller made good on it and sent me out another unit. He did this even though I drilled a couple of holes in the side of it. His ebay ID is oem-gm-radios

Do a search on GM CD player and there are plenty of other posts about how to do this. Check the other boards too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the old one out with out any thing cracking, not much room for ones hand there,old radio was dated dec 1987 one of last few thous out the door, back on trac retard.........................i have the gm harness 16140051 but not sure what goes where or if all the ends on the gm harness will even be used any help there?? and i will have to jerry rig the mounting braket.. thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i did a search and couldn't find what i'm looking for so to any one haveing done this sure could use your help....mike

·
Registered
242 Posts
if you have the old one out and have the harness you are most of the way there.
Get a Delco radio with the mounting tabs on the front like this one.
(which I think is a good deal btw. I got mine for 90 a few years back)

Ebay link

I just enlarged one of the existing holes on the radio to make mine fit. And i had to snip one of the tabs off of the radio bezel to get it back on. everything will plug right in with your adapter. Its a worthwhile effort though.

Like every other mod with these cars though, dont be surprised if you find you want some 6x9"s for some good sound outta that thing.

heres a pic of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i got it pluged in and every thing works but i don't have the back speakers working. should i switch the wires around where the 3 sets of wires go into the big harness, or do i need to do some thing else i have the concert
sound 2 in the car if that matters................thanks mike

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
back speakers

Hi there,

I had the same problem (and ZERO stereo knowledge). I got some help locally and we ended up cutting the blue clip to fit in the stereo and voila--back speakers.

Hope this helps.

Ravi

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
blue clip

I had two black clips left over after the install-- :cheers: I think this is correct. There was a space for the blue clip but it was too fat to go in the slot. I trimmed a piece off and placed it in the slot and I had rear speakers.

Hope this helps.

Ravi :cheers:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your right 2 blacks and a blue, the blue went into the cd player and now i have all speakers working ,thanks now i just have to some how fab a mounting bracket.............mike

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Good Stuff

Glad I could help. :cheers:

Ravi

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well not bad 2 wks total and i'm done with my cd install, i can't wait till i sell it and the new owner pulls the cd player and sees my bracket that i had to fab.. but it does look good in the car and with the gray front it realy looks stock, and like some one else said even the speaks sound good now, so again thanks for helping me out...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts