Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of boxed control arms and I have a couple of questions reguarding the intallation process. It's been a while since I last "assisted" in a rear end suspension assembly.

1) After I have the car on jackstands and I lower the rear end to it's lowest point, is there any energy left in the springs I should be afraid of?

2) Is there anything I need to be aware of while doing this kind of work? Things I should look for and things I should not do.

I know that I should only replace one at a time. Thanks in advance.

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster II, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock..except for all the stuff that doesn't last 15yrs.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Brake lines and fuel lines are always a concern. As well as emgergency br. cables but they are expendable.

Springs in the back will be very loose at that time and not a problem normally, they might even fall right out.

Oh, by the way I just dropped salvageV6 off to have mine swapped out.

Getting lazy in my old age. Besides my welder is my mechanic and he put in new HR Parts bushings and all, he might as well finish the job.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
No tension left in the springs. When you reinstall them you may have to get the jack under the pinion to change the angle so you can get the bolt in. Thats what I did for mine, it worked well.

Joe

------------------
1986 Buick Grand National
TA-49 Turbo, 009's, Hooker cat back, CAS V4, Art Carr 3000 stall, BGC 3'' Downpipe, ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
Buick, Go fast with class
[email protected]

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just had mine up on stands taking out the fuel tank and noticed the springs were under no load and I could have snatched them right out of there. I have never done the arms but did read in a few places that they are not the easyist things to line up when installing. That's the reason for one at a time.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
No energy left in springs... I find it easier to disconnect lower shock bolts and pull springs. If they are old they may fall out and hit you on the head. Then you would have a story like Steve
With the springs out and floorjack under rearend housing you can raise or lower it to catch your bolts easier.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I think I'll tackle this job over the weekend. I would send it to a shop and let them do it, but I am tired of working around someone else's time table. I also don't trust too may people with my car. I'll just chalk this one up for experience.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I don't either set the Maxeffort to 18 degrees full fuel, and took the connector off the wastegate solenoid and plugged it into a resistor connector I made so it won't throw a code.

Rod set at 18psi.

Left the gas low too. They usually don't drive it far anyway.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Oh yeah,
I wonder if the BSTC would code through the ECM?

I dunno.... don't care either.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Oh yeah I did cut that wire, I think...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts