Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i installed my new mass air flow sensor and fired it right up..idle is much better than it was before, it still likes to bogg a little bit but its not to bad.. tps is set at 4.6 at idle, and iac is within specs, also i cleaned out all the carbon around the iac and the housing..i took my gn for a test drive and it ran like crap..when i get boost it seems my car is not really moving that fast, also when i get into boost about 5 to 10 lbs i hear a popping sound and when i let go of the throttle i hear a popping sound and then my gn likes to bogg and it seems it wants to die.. and whenever i floor my car boost shoots right up to 15lbs and i also hear a popping sound, and when i let go the throttle it likes to bogg or hesiating.. i dont know why my buick is like that.. i have good fuel pressure set at 42 vacuum line off wastegate and the wastegate solenoid is good, turbo vacuum lines are good no leaks or cracks found, also intercooler hoses are good.. any suggestions what else i can do or to look for so i can get my buick running strong again...

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Sounds like plugs or wires. Which ones are you running?

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Since we know no one ever buys a defective plug or cracks an insulator when installing the plugs, I guess we can move right along to the coil pack/module.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the coil pack and the module is new its about a year old... i drove my gn today and its seems when i get into boost my car doesn't run fast, i hear a popping sound and a bogging sound when i let off the throttle and when i give it some gas when i cruise its likes to bogg and hesiate..

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
well, since we have eliminated all the things that normally cause this............how bout a loose hose somewhere in the turbo track?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i looked at the intercooler hoses..they are fine and they are all tightened up, i looked at the vacuum hoses by the turbo they are also fine...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Get a known good MAF from someone and try it. Many new ones are still calibrated incorrectly. The Standards and A1 Cardones sometimes come up with a good one. What brand did you buy?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by badbuick87gn:
today i installed my new mass air flow sensor and fired it right up..idle is much better than it was before, it still likes to bogg a little bit but its not to bad..
Where did you get your MAF from?

My rebuilt MAF runs ok, but my air counts are waay too low....so it tries to lean out at WOT.

POSTONS is getting NEW MAFs from TOMCO...were you on the their list for one?

I called today and am #2 on the list

Closer and closer...'

I know everybody is going to say get the translator, but if my car only needs a regular MAF then why fork over the $$$ if it isn't necessary, these NEW MAFs that is.

I'll only go the translator route IF I have no choice...

------------------

1987 GN: 104,500 miles, 160°T-stat, homemade dual exhaust, Adj.WG, Walbro 340, Adj.FPR, 8"K&N Cone, engine tie-down, SCANMASTER II, 30psi VDO Boost gauge, 235/60/15 DUNLOP GT QUALIFIERS all around, custom chip. Set at a confident 15lbs of boost 14.4 ET @ 91.7mph...BEFORE the above mods were done!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i bought a maf sensor from auto zone and my car ran worse so i bought a maf from eastern performance which is rebuilt..which runs much better than before..but still my car runs like crap it fires up good then it after a few seconds it likes to bogg and seems like it wants to die

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by badbuick87gn:
yes my tps is set at 4.6 at idle
Don't you mean .46, and NOT 4.6 ???????

TPS settings should be .44 at idle and 4.5+ at WOT.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,BGNRA San Diego,GSCA-5311,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN(MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 L69 Z28

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Do it with the engine off so you can set wot as well as idle. Just remember than when running it will read about 2 tenths higher than when off so set the idle about .42-.46

If you are at .48 or higher, it is gonna run strangely....screws up the idle speed....I don't know what such an order of magnitude would do....

Wot does not seem to be very critical but I usually aim for 4.5+ as TD suggests.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
maybe this is why i get that bogging and hesiation when i keep my foot on the throttle when iam crusing abour 45 to 50 mph
also sometimes i get a crazy idle bounce when i start my car up...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts