Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Innovative Turbo Systems Multi-stage Boost Controller, Opinions and results?
As seen in GM High Tech mag, I am very interested in this set-up that Jack Cotton sells. Is anybody here running one? I was wondering what is involved in the install and what is required. Does anybody know the price? Looks like a real creative system.

------------------
Ready to Play! Brad Thompson,1987 GN T-top,new GNX takeoff turbo from ASC,CASV4,65mm AccuFab plenum,65mm PTE TB, Jay Carter Alky Kit with Plennum Stealth Injection Plate, Walboro 340, 42.5# Lucas 009's, Jay Carter Street chip, ATR 8.5mm race wires, braided fuel and turbo oil feed lines, ATR cold air kit, 14" K&N filter,fully Kirban Braced, ATR 3" downpipe with 3" high flow cat and crossover, Ported turbo exhust housing with Jett-Hot coating. Hooker supercomp 2.5 dual exhaust, rear exit, Jett-Hot coated ATR header, Aluminum underdrive pully, Custom Mallory Billet alternator pulley, fully gauged, Caspers knock gauge, 16" GNX wheels, BF Goodrich Comp TA ZR's, shaft loop, pinion snubber, 4-core rad with high volume pump, manual fan controller, GNX O2 sensor, Art Carr shift kit with deep aluminum finned pan, B&M transcooler, Eastern Performance rail mounted Fuel pressure gauge with tap, ATR intercooler air deflector, Viper keyless entry and security. Boost set at a confident 22# (with Alcohol) on 94 Octane Sunoco ** In the works, a custom 2.75" Carbon Fiber intercooler to throttle body uppipe** mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
seems like it was 500 and change? Might get a sale deal..

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can see some info on my website:
http://www.arautosports.com/boostcontrol.htm

the controller works like it should. I love it, and my customers have used with great success as well. Works extremely well for street racing, and on the fly boost control. It is super easy to change boost settings, and with the proper wastegate, boost is rock solid. please email me if you need some help, or need specific questions answered.

[email protected]

Oh yeh, list is $596. Not sure why Cotton's is advertising dealer pricing on their site.

[This message has been edited by ghettosled (edited January 06, 2002).]

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have one on my car, I am still undecided about it. After I run my car this Thursday, I can give you a better report of the pro's and con's.
On one of my customers cars (1200+hp), we had to drill out the exhaust port on one solenoid to get it to control the boost. Even then, it still isn't working that well.

------------------

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind and make of wastegates are you guys running with this set-up? If possible, post your set-up so I can learn from your experiences. Thanks for all the replies.
Brad

·
Registered
243 Posts
My customers car is a Mustang with a single 91mm Thumper. It has an Inovative wastgeate. The launch boost works "so-so" with the two step, but still creeps. The ramp boost won't work at all. We run the car on radials at some events and the only way to control spoolup is to run the motor pig rich. This may be a problem with the wastgate more than the controler. I did notice with the wastegate venting to the atmosphere, the boost was more "spikey". When we plumbed it back into the downpipe it seemed to smooth out a lot. My ASSumtion was that it was overcorrecting when the wastegate opened to atmosphere.

I realize that none of this may apply to a GN, that is why I said I would give you more info after Thursday. So far, everything seems to be working correctly on my GN. It has a single TSE-88 and a little HKS Racegate on it. Previously, my regulator valve controled boost just fine, I only put the Inovative unit on the car to get consistant launch boost and try and keep the car off the 2-step.

------------------

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by KWIKR 1:
check out the boost controlers at www.turbosmart.com.au .
$55.00 US was the cheapest one I saw!!
pretty pricey for a manual valve!

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN[email protected](MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
Pictures of my toys

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
a preped grainger valve goes for $35+ (Dawes Devices) . for a extra bit to have something that looks like it would be easier to adjust isn't much.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
darned nice price considering it takes about six bucks and ten minutes to make one.

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
good one steve . lol
. what about the fancy lettering and color . that should be good for $40 and a tenth off your times .

[This message has been edited by KWIKR 1 (edited January 07, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Well, if I were to be completely honest...it works better than some of the stuff I got from KB about 16 years ago that was guaranteed for two tenths! I had a nine second car in 1986 that actually ran 13s....LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
HiPSI,

What wastegate does the mustang have? with 1200hp the only wastegate I would use is a Innovative Turbo Indy Gate or an HKS GT gate. Anything smaller, and I think you will have problems.

My motor is a tad shy of 1200hp, but launch boost is dead nuts, and each time i bump up the boost I get no creap what so ever. We are playing around with a new version which also has decrease boost on the fly. Basically you launch, and if it spins you turn the boost down, if it hooks then you bump it up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It has the big Innovative wastegate. Something else I forgot to mention, is that the boost controler is 2 pounds off of what the FAST says. I ASSume it is a diference in MAP sensors.

------------------

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Well, if I were to be completely honest...it works better than some of the stuff I got from KB about 16 years ago that was guaranteed for two tenths! I had a nine second car in 1986 that actually ran 13s....LOL

You too?? Hell, by the time I finished spending money at KB's that fall of 86 I had by conservative estimates an 8 second ride. Shhhh, we won't tell anybody that it was actually only running 13.11's though

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN[email protected](MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
Pictures of my toys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts