Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
As long as you don't need a bigger wategate,I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Might want to call Jack Cotton and ask him.
I believe he still sells them. :)

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running 24+psi with a TE-63 and .63 housing and have not had any reason to want to go to a bigger puck much less an external WG. I did however search and find several references to it not working well because the internal WG was too small and/or did not react fast enough. I would love to be able to stall with my foot to the floor, eye on the tree not the boost gauge :D , hit the t-brake with only what I need and ramp it up to 24psi w/in say 2-3secs.

$1,000 needed for that BstC and external WG setup might end up driving me to try and build my own.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
What size w/g hole you running Scott?
Chris,what was your problem with the controller?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Try putting a "grainger" valve (sorry Rich) inline with the gate. I darn sure don't have any trouble spooling my 45. In fact, I took it off the other day in an attempt to quit blowing the tires away. I guess i could have tried setting it at 12# or so.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RK, not sure of the exact size, but the standard THDP puck fits over it easily. I can get one for a trial but if it flat does not work, I won't waste my time or take the risk. If it could work, is the minimum boost limited to the WG, IOW, 12psi if I used a stock WG cannister?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I am confused. I thought you wanted faster spool? If that is the case, what does the wastegate hole have to do with it as long as the puck is sealing it?

The stock wastegate actuator can normally handle 12-21# or so of boost depending upon hole size. A bleeder will increase this range. Not sure what the boost range has to do with spool up, however.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Scottie-GNZ:
RK, not sure of the exact size, but the standard THDP puck fits over it easily. I can get one for a trial but if it flat does not work, I won't waste my time or take the risk. If it could work, is the minimum boost limited to the WG, IOW, 12psi if I used a stock WG cannister?
I doubt it.The minimum I saw is 16-17 with a 1.18" W/G hole and 1/16" rod tension[stock,adj/ actuator].
Steve mentions the Grainger valve.That's been proven to work as well.
You looking towards future considerations,or are you just toying with an idea?
All this wastegate stuff hurts my head.
A wastegate is nothing more than a pressure relief valve,configured in a bypass mode.
When and how much pressure you allow to shunt by the turbine housing,determines how much "drive" is applied to the turbine wheel[I say this for anybody who reads this thread and might be shaky on the principle's].

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely do not want any faster spool than I have now eek! What I want is the ability to limit how much boost I can spool at the line w/o having to stare at the boost gauge and modulate the throttle. Once I get rolling off the t-brake I am at full boost almost instantly and in 3rd in 2.5 secs despite running 3.07s. I am starting to blow away the tires (9" QTPs) and feel ramping up the boost will actually make the off-the-line acceleration more controlled and quicker.

I could be off base with that assumption but every car I have seen with that "problem" that tried some sort of 2-step has gone quicker. The references to the wastegate is what I found doing searches but you take it with a grain of salt since most are just speculating. Only one with experience is Jack C and he does not remember the specifics, just the fact that it was a pain and simpler to convert to an external WG.

I have one of these units at my disposal to try (and option to buy) once I get the LSD rebuilt. Just looking to see if anyone has any lessons learned. My concern about the WG is whether I would be able to limit the spoolup to say 10psi if the WG has a min of 12. I am now using a HD WG.

<small>[ April 22, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Scottie-GNZ ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
okay, that helps get the oranges out of the apples. :)

The only two approaches that I can think of off the bat, would be the Innovative approach which might work better with an external gate (speculation) and/or something like the MSD with the two step rev limiter.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Which .63 housing are you running Scott?
Ever consider an .82-85?
It will definately be more controlable.
More top end power too.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am using a Garret .63 and also have a Garret .82. I tried the .82 and the car went 10.50 @ 132.3 with 22+psi but the spoolup was slooow and the 60' was in the 1.60s. I switched to the .63 and was able to get the 60' down to 1.45 and with 24.5# it went 10.36 @ 131.7 with a 1.49. The .82 definitely is mad on the top-end and I sure I could see 135+ with 24.4#. Couple of interesting points comparing the 2. The .63 made 2+hp more @ 24.5# than the .82 @ 22+ and the .63 was much quicker in the 1/8-mile, 6.62 to 6.79.

I am now working on leaning out the fuel with the M/E to get the quickest 1/8-mile, then add fuel on the top-end. First test absolutely annihilated the tires so I definitlely want to ramp up the boost instead of WHAM, HERE'S 24psi FOR YA!!!. If all goes well with that experiment then I should be able to switch back to the .82. Then, I have to deal with going through the traps at 56-5700 :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
boost was all over the place. I would have it set at 17psi with the controller off and it would be rock steady. use the controller and it would go from 12-22 back and forth.

Chris

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I think that boost controller is designed to work with the companion W/G.
From what I've seen of it,the wastegate has a different length and diameter spring in it.
I'm guessing that the controller has a hard time reconciling the shorter spring[not enough travel per # of spring pressure].
As a result,the controller isn't setup to supply the smaller corrections necessary for a stock style W/G actuator.
I figure that's why you see the big swings when using the controller with a stock style actuator.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris, thanks for the feedback. When I spoke with Jack he could not remember the details just the frustration.

RK, you might be giving the vendor design more credit than it deserves, but your theory, err story, has credence :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Now I'm a little confused. I've got a Mease DP and a BstC from Ramcharger's...neither part is installed. I also do not have a grainger valve. Am I going to have problems with this setup? I'm running a TE44 and have a Propain kit here just waiting to be installed, so I plan on running 22-23 psi.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
WakkoSS:
Now I'm a little confused. I've got a Mease DP and a BstC from Ramcharger's...neither part is installed. I also do not have a grainger valve. Am I going to have problems with this setup? I'm running a TE44 and have a Propain kit here just waiting to be installed, so I plan on running 22-23 psi.
Probably not. Remember, the boost control system they're talking about is the Innovative controller (which by the way was designed to be used with external gates).
It's a totally different animal than what you have. I run the BstC from Ramchargers, and frankly couldn't possibly imagine going back to any kind of manual or tuner style of adjusting boost!

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave,

since the BstC from Ramchargers appear to be working with your internal setup, can it do the things I am looking to do, i.e., limit boost on spoolup and then ramp the boost? really hard to tell from the limited information on their site. I do not really care which brand I use, I just want something that can do this with an internal WG and I happen to be able to get an Innovative for a trial.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts