Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys wanted some help on my GN. My car has 84,000 miles. I found #2 plug wet with fuel. Leaky injector? I want to upgrade to 36# injectors and a TA49. What do you think? Also i have an old chip from kenne bell its the ultrachip. Are these injectors emission legal. I dont want run 11's maybe high 12's. I have 2800 stall converter, hi-po pump, boost gage and oil, temp gages. Thanks i know i crammed many questions.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have the 49 and 40 lb lucas injectors, JC chip, SMC alky that are a good setup.
With the Nittos I run high 12s.
The 40s are good injectors with no problems.
Seems the 009 injectors have more problems.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would go for the 50's and be done with the injector issue" Actually I did do that. TA49 great turbo. 36LB injectors will take you where you want to go" Spend once; set your goal with the car. Think about it' If I had it to do over again I would get the TE60. A bigger IC would really be needed with this setup to though. There kickin butt around here at the track. 11"s & 120+
Emissions" No emission problem with injectors" A good chip & proper tuning.

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis---
2001 Ultra Harley Davidson
93 1500 Cheby PU
72 Cheby 4x4
97 1100 ACE
86GN,
Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & intake' Jay's 62mm T/body & upper' 979springs" Weber 206 206 hyd cam" Manly SS valves, Steel center mains' PTE 51 Turbo, THDP" Postons headers, Hooker comp. mufflers' T.C. Orange stripe conv. SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, JL Chips" V4 IC' LT1 MAF & Translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
There is no problem with the 42.5# injectors...there is a problem with some lousy chip burners who don't know how to tailor the fuel curve to match the injectors, tho.

Steve Yaklin, Jim Testa, Joe Lubrant all make good chips for them.

36# injectors will take you into the 11.6-7 range...how fast do you realistically want to go? 40s will go mid 11s, 42.5s will go low 11s, and 50s will got upper tens...

Very few of us need 50s and they cost more...they are good injectors as are the others..any clown, Harley or not,
can burn a 50 chip as it flows somewhat parallel to the stock chip so changing the injector constant only makes it easy.

For your stated goals, the 36# injector ( I strongly suggest the 36# Accel injector which is the same as the old bluetop, and the 49 would make an excellent injector. The stock converter would be great but the 2800 is almost as good. No problems with emissions but you might need an "emissions' chip that is not quite as rich when you go for testing. Depends upon how strict your area is.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited May 03, 2002).]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The good thing about the 40s is you can find them used alot cheaper than the other injectors. Got some low milage and 2 chips for 112.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys i think im going with 36# accel injectors. Is there such a thing as to big of an injector? What about turbo lag?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Check with Chuck Leeper on other board for accel injectors.
If I were buying new, I would get the 50s.
Turbo lag? With a 49? No.

[This message has been edited by ES (edited May 04, 2002).]

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
TA-49 with 009's.

I have no complaints at all. I think the 009's get a bad rap for no reason. I like them.

Joe

------------------
1986 Buick Grand National
TA-49 Turbo, 009's, Hooker cat back, CAS V4, Art Carr 3000 stall, BGC 3'' Downpipe, ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by MAR86GN:
Thanks guys i think im going with 36# accel injectors. Is there such a thing as to big of an injector? What about turbo lag?

Turbo lag is not an issue with a 49. As I said, it is perfectly matched with a stock converter.

Is there such a thing as too big a turbo? Maybe.

The larger injectors, particulary above #55 units, flow a lot more fuel at minimum pulse widths than do the smaller units..this may make for a sloppier idle due to more fuel. A faster idle speed can help here. I run 75s on one of my cars and the idle is good but I use the MaxEffort chips which are open loop and originally aimed at big injectors.

We have gotten into the knee jerk of saying buy 50s because you will need them one day. For most, that is not true as they can carry a high 10 sec car and most will never get close. No real down side in them other than price.

Either Nick Micale or Chuck Leeper who posts over here under the name of Old Buzzard (because he thinks it is more dignified that ol' Geezer) will fix you up with a set of Accel 36s which I think are the best all around street injector there is.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts