Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Semi-annual emissions coming up on my new addition. It's running 50 lb injectors, a PT52 and ported stock heads. I had just a devil of a time getting car 1 through last year and only passed after five failures and three gallons of alcohol. Aside from installing the cat, changing the chip and dumping the race gas, is there anything else I should be doing?

Anyone slide through IM240 with 50 lb injectors. If necessary, I'll stick some blue tops or stock injectors back in the car for the test.

------------------

TE45, 55lb Injectors, V4, port matched & mild polished heads, 206/206 Flat Tappet Cam, C-P Forged Pistons, 16 Position Max Effort, new best 03/29/02: 11.13 @ 121

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The Max Effort is an open loop setup. You will have a hard time passing with it. Put in an Emissions chip for 50lb injectors from one of the known chipmakers and you should pass. I pass IM240 with 50's and no converter with a Bob Bailey chip. Jim Testa's chips will do the same.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ed. I don't have ME in car2, just a Lubrant chip. After the tough time I had with car1 I wasn't sure if 50's would get through. I think I have a Lubrant emissions chip.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I find the Lubrant chip a little rich for 50's also idle's too low. I would try another chip before going crazy.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
It's not the injectors that make the difference. It's the chip. Getting through with 50's should be a breeze IF the chip is right, you have a working cat, and just as importantly a working EGR.

My car burned super clean on my last test in Southern CA (cleaner than it ever has, even stock days) using a good 50# smog chip file (I made) a good cat and working EGR.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing
Lone Rock, WI
86 GN[email protected](MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
My photo albums

·
Registered
76 Posts
A good working cat is a must. The most problems you'll have is with NOx, especially if the emissions chip is biased lean. The EGR must work properly also, especially when the vehicle is accelerated past 50mph. You can check you cat, if you have a digital pyrometer or a non-contact pyrometer. Since the cat creates a chemical reaction, the exhaust temps should be hotter behind the cat compared to the front of the cat (at least 100 degrees difference) after a hard run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts