Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, well after waiting for quite some time my dad has given in and let me have his old 87 T type...its been sitting since 98 and after alittle work runs great..but i was wondering where i should start my restoration? any opinions are appreciated

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Make sure the fuel pump/system is in good shape. Is it the original fuel pump? At least you should "hot wire" it, but better to go ahead and put in a Walbro 340. After that, and after you have a scan tool, then you can start to have fun!
George
Raleigh, NC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just replaced the old gas with new 93, and after changin the oil it ran good, but the water temp gauge flashed and it overflowed..im guessing thermostat stuck? and im thinking of getting a 160 thermo is that good?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes its a good idea to go ahead and get the 160 thermostat, keep her running cool. But you really need to get a good fuel pump, change fuel filter, and scanmaster. Like has been said, do yourself a favor and give her a spring cleaning as per www.gnttype.org
Good luck, you have a great car...Mark

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Originally posted by NicksT-type87:
i just replaced the old gas with new 93, and after changin the oil it ran good, but the water temp gauge flashed and it overflowed..im guessing thermostat stuck? and im thinking of getting a 160 thermo is that good?
160 stat is a good idea but I recommend getting a chip that calls for it. Your car will run lean to get the temp up without a chip that calls for a 160 stat. If you plan on modding the car at all a good aftermarket chip is essential and most chip burners will upgrade their chips for you as you change equipment (injectors and sich) for about $20. I use Red Armstrong's chips but there are many to choose from. Quad Air (RedArmstrong) number is 440-235-3232.

·
Registered
790 Posts
What color is your car? I'm from the Hatboro/Warminster area. They breed Buick fans down here. There's five Turbo Regals in my immediate neighborhood alone(including mine). My car is about 5 different colors, kinda hard to miss. Maybe you've seen her?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts