Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm really new to this whole Turbo Buick thing and cars in general. I'm 19 years old and just last year got a 87 Cutlass very simple stuff to work on.

I'm looking into selling the Cutlass for about 4500, I'm going to purcahse a 1987 T Type from a member on this site If the cars frame is solid and the car has a solid foundation. I know there is alot of things to consider when running a Turbo Buick. If I end up buying the car would anyone with experince building and working on Turbo Buick Motors and Trans be willing to teach me the important factors.

Like I said I know very littel about cars in general. I'm a smart kid but I'd like some of the wisdom from the guys who have had these for a while to teach me some things.

I know the car will need a scanmaster and a TT chip right away but I'm not sure how to use either:dunno:

Anyways I'll let you know if I buy the car. I'm just wanting to see who could help so I can let them know as soon as I can.

Thanks Justin

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Save your money and buy a nice one already done or in real nice shape . they are huge money pits of hell and work when you buy them rough with the dreams of fixing them up . even more so if your not mechanical inclined . In the meantime while your saving your money . read..ask questions and learn all you can about them .Sorry if this wasnt the sugar coated reply you were maybe looking for . :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Take your time and find a good solid car to work with. Don't get discouraged if the car your looking at isn't up to snuff.....like the above post, these can be money pits.
I spent probably 4 yrs hunting on and off til I found my LTD. Owned by an old fart, and was bone stock, so I knew the bottom hadn't been rattled alot.
I'd be more than happy to help you out, but a tad too far. Lots of knowledgeable good guys out your way.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Save your money and buy a nice one already done or in real nice shape . they are huge money pits of hell and work when you buy them rough with the dreams of fixing them up . even more so if your not mechanical inclined . In the meantime while your saving your money . read..ask questions and learn all you can about them .Sorry if this wasnt the sugar coated reply you were maybe looking for . :)
Exactly!! You better buy some tools & start reading how to fix your own car.
Here are a few great sites
Vortex Buicks
Turbo Regal Web Site

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Seriously,I would shop south of the border,more bang for the buck errr buick.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If everyone thought that (shop south of the border), all of Canada would be on welfare.
Some good local cars are available from time to time.

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
If everyone thought that (shop south of the border), all of Canada would be on welfare.
Some good local cars are available from time to time.
Well.. half of canada is on welfare . the other half shops in the states . :D :) i go down once a month and pick up my stuff . i couldnt afford to do what im doing paying canadian prices on parts . :) when a fan belt up here cost $38 plus tax and i can get the same fan belt for $12 shipped in the US . go figure . :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car isnt exactly rough. Its all stock with 150,000 kms. I dont think I want to spend 20 Grand on someones Buick. I'd rather Build my own up. I may have lied abit about being smart with cars.. I'm decent I'm a Millwright so I'm not stupid mechanicly.

I value the honest opinions from you gentalmen. I'll shoot some photos of the car and listen to it run. take it for a littel spin and see.

I will say this if I do get the car and someone can give me a hand getting her running nice. With proper tutorial on a scanmaster and TT chip install. A case of beer is in order :cheers:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Well.. half of canada is on welfare . the other half shops in the states . :D :) i go down once a month and pick up my stuff . i couldnt afford to do what im doing paying canadian prices on parts . :) when a fan belt up here cost $38 plus tax and i can get the same fan belt for $12 shipped n the US . go figure . :)
You should move to the states then, save you the travel time each month.....

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Just buy this one off me:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRkPZMr1c4]autoxbuick13aug11.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMS3KWwIovg]1191at112mph - YouTube[/ame]

Turn key fun machine with lots of spares! ;)

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Once the Black Crack takes hold of you, the car will end up costing $20K in the end.
Remember this post in 10 years!! :wink:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I will say this if I do get the car and someone can give me a hand getting her running nice. With proper tutorial on a scanmaster and TT chip install. A case of beer is in order :cheers:
Again, start reading Vortex Buicks
Best advice I can give you as a newbie owner! :yup:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once the Black Crack takes hold of you, the car will end up costing $20K in the end.
Remember this post in 10 years!! :wink:
My hope for this year is to buy the car for about 6500. Then after that by summer I'll either put $5000 in parts or use that 5000-6000 to do a fresh engine build and a scanmaster and chip.

I want to learn how to do work on things myself. I really think I need this life challange because its something I love and really want. I've also read all those links and read alot of stickys for noobies.

I'm ready to take on the Turbo Buick Challange.:6:

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
I'm ready to take on the Turbo Buick Challange.:6:
Hang on ....it's going to be a ride . :D :) there will be days you'll want to pour gasoline on it and burn it to the ground . and there will be days that you'll never want to stop driving it . lol im pretty close to you . if there's anything I can help you with , let me know . good luck . :) keep us posted . :)

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
if you have some spare time this weekend . come up to Brooklin and we'll chit chat and have a beer . you can take a look at the junk im working on . :) PM me and we'll set it up . :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ive seen some great advice sent your way so far! When you say a clean or decent car please remember some basics I have been preaching for a while. I own a Collision shop and don't want to see you buy a car that many people perceive to be "clean" but is really just clean looking. Just like buying a house with a crappy foundation and spending money on nice flooring and granite counter tops only to have it sag on one side and mess up everything you have spent for. Rust is a problem on these cars, once it is in the wrong areas it is too costly to properly repair. It will keep recurring and cause you issues down the road. If you want an honest opinion about the condition of a car come see me. I won't sugar coated either and definitely won't try and sell you on rust repairs ( although we can do them) but at least you will really understand issues/ potential issues.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the body work and rust spots. I'm not a rookie to Gbodys and more I've had my cutlass for about 2 years now. I kinda know exactly where to look on these cars. I like to call it the "Cancer Spots"

I'm just worried about the Engine. I've watched millions of GN videos on youtube and I just found out you do infact need that TT Chip and a scanmaster 100% to have a decent running Turbo Engine.

I'm sure there is some other suprises aswell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts