Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in the next few months, going back and forth on just what to get. It occured to me I was searching for a comprimise vehicle. Why comprimise when I can get a car/truck for each need? I wanted something interesting, unique, nostalgic, fast and Awesome. That's where the 1987 Buick Grand National comes in. I tested my wife with a picture of the car. "Oh My God!!! Uncle Wayne had one of those cars!!! That was the Most Awesome Car Ever!!!!" I thought it would be a harder sell. She actually "Gets it". So here I am. I have a few cars for sale in my area but need to learn about the cars and maintenance before making any moves. This seems to be the place for that.

Here's to Awesome!!!! :headbang:

Father Goat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been doing some research on the site and looking at cars on line. A lot of these cars are pricd between 17-20k and I'm wondering if that might be a little high. I'm wondering if it might be better to find a cheaper car that needs a little more work as I expect to be putting money into the car regardless of its condition at purchase to get it in proper working order. What kind of condition was your car in when you bought it?

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's been a buyer's market for about 2 1/2 - 3 years now. 17 - 20k should get you a low - mid tier mileage, unmolested turbo regal that should be pristine. Good paint, good interior, mechanically sound, good trans, no rust, no distastefully done 'mods'.

On the flip side, if you're into modded cars, 17 - 20k should get you a consistent 9 - 10 second car that's turn-key. Might not be as low mileage as a stocker described above but will be a driver and look pretty decent to boot. Keep in mind that a modded car with an asking price in that range probably has closer to 30k invested overall in parts / labor. Ya' just don't get your money back on mods.

What you think is a fair price is really based on what YOU think and what YOU want. Not what other people think. Sure...if it's an obvious train wreck and you pay 17k for it...well...no one's fault but the buyer's. If that makes sense...

Have you looked over on turbobuick.com? This board is kinda dead all around. Especially the for sale section. Lotta cars to compare over there.

I know I sound like the MAGNA cheerleader, but you'll get a lot of good feedback from those guys as well. Heck, you might even get a line on a local car for sale that fits your criteria. Might be worth a post in the forum.

Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan,

Thanks for the response, and I did post on the new commers thread on the Magna forum. I have some time to figure this out and I want to be informed. I want to be able to evaluate the price between the project car and the turnkey and where they fall in the price range. I want a car I can drive often for a long time provided I do my part. The turnkey car seems like a good place to start but I don't want to overlook a good deal that requires a little more attention to get it right. I don't want a train wreck either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.