Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is becoming rather concerning. I have a set of MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor spark plug wires (~1 year old) and big stainless steel AN fuel lines in my car. On the passenger’s side of the engine the wires for 2-4-6 have all been seen with spark energy jumping off/out of the plug wire and to the fuel line. In an effort to curb this matter I have tried double insulating the wires, and last night the fuel line itself, with rubber hose (fuel line and 3/4” coolant hose). But, I can’t be sure that I have isolated the problem, or just relocated it to a ground on the engine itself that I can’t see. I have also placed dielectric spark plug grease on all of the terminals (coil, plugs, and inside the plug boots). angrymou

FWIW, I was in my garage at 11pm with all of the lights out searching for the little buggers. They stopped after some tweaking of the hose positions. And the car seemed to run smoother this morning on start-up and rev’d a bit quicker when I got on it, too.

Any suggestions? help

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Time for a new high quality set of wires would be my guess. You might want to try a different brand just to see. I've never been overly impressed with MSD wires anyway.

·
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurboDave:
Time for a new high quality set of wires would be my guess. You might want to try a different brand just to see. I've never been overly impressed with MSD wires anyway.
Got any favorites? :D

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
There are many! My personal favorites are Magnecor.

Even the cheaper (cheaper price, not cheaper quality) brands that Red Armstrong sells are good high quality wires, if you can be careful enough not to pull the boots off.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Seems odd that the spark would jump to the fuel line. What are the plugs gapped at? Must be some major resistance somewhere for the spark to take the path it chose. On my car, the plug wires aren't that close to the fuel line, on either side. Driver's side, they're routed back along the firewall, then over the valve cover, and kind of around the oil dipstick. If there was any arc, it would be to the dipstick tube. On the passenger side, they are over the doghouse, then over the valve cover, and don't come real close to anything. Maybe you need some new wire looms.. the little plastic supports?

·
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ormand:
Seems odd that the spark would jump to the fuel line. What are the plugs gapped at? Must be some major resistance somewhere for the spark to take the path it chose. On my car, the plug wires aren't that close to the fuel line, on either side. Driver's side, they're routed back along the firewall, then over the valve cover, and kind of around the oil dipstick. If there was any arc, it would be to the dipstick tube. On the passenger side, they are over the doghouse, then over the valve cover, and don't come real close to anything. Maybe you need some new wire looms.. the little plastic supports?
Here is how it looks (except there are more rubber hoses over the PS line and wires):

You tell me.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I see that the fuel line routing puts the line close to the plug wires, but it still seems like the fuel line would be a relatively poor path to ground. If the plug wires make good contact with the plugs, seems like the path through the plugs would be easier, at least at idle.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Mike, I would be very concerned with my Fuel line being 8" away from the DP like that. You need one of these: 180º

Sorry I can't add anything about the arcing wires. I thought that was normal to see the light show in the dark!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The dialectric grease will likely fix your problem. It is often overlooked however it is a very critical piece of the puzzle.....tens of thousands of coils and probably as many sets of plugs wires have been replaced when a 2.00 tube of dialectric grease would have fixed the problem.

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: BlownZ ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
put a new set of plugs and a new set of wires on it.

·
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve Wood:
put a new set of plugs and a new set of wires on it.
The plugs are a week old so they are staying. :D

But, I'll see if I can't dig up some good wires over the winter. My poor student days are coming. yup

Mike, yeah... that has always bugged me too. I'll address that ASAP. Thanks.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Ormand:
I see that the fuel line routing puts the line close to the plug wires, but it still seems like the fuel line would be a relatively poor path to ground. If the plug wires make good contact with the plugs, seems like the path through the plugs would be easier, at least at idle.
That particular fuel line is a VERY good path to ground. Notice the steel braid?? It's attached to the connectors, which are attached to the steel fuel rail, which is bolted directly to the intake, hence ground.

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
a plug wire should never come in contact with any metal object or each other ..thats why they sell wire seperaters

I went thru about every brand there is and found the msd's to work the best to put out the light show but my wires dont touch nothing that they could arc to

I didnt try magnacores even tho I have a set now I havent had no reason to take the msd's off since they are working fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts