1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure what these ignition control boxes are? and what they do? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Buick Runner said:
I am not sure what these ignition control boxes are? and what they do? :dunno:
That term can be used to discribe many different types.
Some being, the coil control module, that does the dwell control for the coils.
A Two step, that sets two RPM limits for the engine.
A rev-limiter.
A timing retard module.
A retard module the uses a knock sensor.
A CDI, Capacitive Discharge Ignition. (It uses ~400v on the primary side of the coil(s) instead of 14, like a *normal* system.

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I mean that CDI system, so it boosts the power from the coil on the primary side. I have heard about people using them and have seen them in some cars and I was not sure what they did. So do they really improve HP for their cost?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Buick Runner said:
I guess I mean that CDI system, so it boosts the power from the coil on the primary side. I have heard about people using them and have seen them in some cars and I was not sure what they did. So do they really improve HP for their cost?
They boost the voltage to the coi (just to be clear).

A DIS system has about a 99% success rate in fully lighting the cylinders... By upping that rate, yes there is a slight gain in HP. But, like anything that has to do with engineering there are compromises. With CDIs you get a very fast *rise* time, but a short spark duration, hence why most all CDIs have a multispark. Part of the issue is that coils get hot, by using a CDI they're on *less* so stay slightly cooler. A hot coil, means that it's resistance goes up, and it doesn't develope as hot of spark.

What I have now, is 6 ACCEL CDIs firing 6 coils.
It's literary about all the ignition system you can engineer into a car. I can say starting is instantaneous, I can run a leaner *acclerator pump*, and get really good gas mileage, and can run a .040" plug gap at 28 PSI. Not being a drag racer I don't have any time slips to look at, but the car does seem peppy, and everyone that's driven the car agrees that it is supprisingly responsive.

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Doc1of7. :yup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts