Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a complete GN drivetrain into a 89 RS convertible. the buick ran a 11.45 what would this motor run in the camaro?

Kyle

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say 2-3 MPH faster than the GN, assuming they weighed the same. Just a difference of aerodynamics.

After all, this is essentially what is going on with the TTA.

Anyone else?

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But are the convertibles heavier than the hard tops? Im trying to figure ways to shave off weight. How can this be achieved?

Kyle

·
Registered
345 Posts
It will be slower, because you can only run 13.9's before they throw you out for no roll bar

Even a convert F-body has better aerodynamics than a Regal. If you have a rear end that will stay together (the F-bodies weak point) it should be as quick if not quicker than a regal body.

Shaving weight will be tough, because the bracing you'll need (to keep it from twisting in half) will add weight.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Faster? Probably.
Quicker? Maybe, maybe not. Definately only make about one run though.

Those little 7.5" rear ends that are in the third gen. Camaros are NOT made to handle the kind of beating an 11 second engine is going to throw at it!! One run on sticky tires will literally gut that rear end.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,BGNRA San Diego,GSCA-5311,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN(MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 L69 Z28

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Dave,

Welcome Back
Just couldnt resist eh?

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Heck, Kyle, you done got the naysayers covered!

I reckon it is worth two orthree mph. I am not sure on the ic on a TA but the Ford rear end raises the rear of the upper bars a bit and should make for better bite out of the hole as compared to the gm rear.

Shaving weight is shaving weight. I like the Fiesta Chicken in the Lean Cuisine personally. Beyond that, all the normally stuff, fibre glass, aluminum, sound deadner, etc., will all reduce weight.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by UNGN:

Even a convert F-body has better aerodynamics than a Regal.
I strongly disagree. Though the front of the car has a better profile the,...BUT lack of a roof line will really churn up the air. There are SAE papers that will prove this, it's the same reason why you would rather have your windows up and sun roof closed while racing. The drag coefficient goes up dramatically when the roof is open.

See Engineering school is good for something.

[This message has been edited by PRSRIZD_V6 (edited May 22, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
damn! no wonder those Indy cars are so slow!

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I wouldnt be heatin up the slicks with the top down lol.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Second place in the HBC burn out contest was taken by a guy in a GS with the top down drinking a cool one. He did suddenly stand up to breath....

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol. thats all I need pull up to the staging lanes with the top down, a blunt in one hand and a 40oz in the other bumpin snoop dogg. Then I can fit in with all the other 3rd gen f-body 16 year olds. oh yeah and my pants pouilled down around my knees cause theyre 6 sizes to big.
lmao
Kyle

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah one more thing, my neon lights lighting up; the ground and my 3.5 foot spoiler that looks like it belong on the batmobile. lmfao. Im gonna have fun with this one. hahaha

Kyle

·
Registered
345 Posts
Back in my bad old days (5.0) the local 1/8 mile track guy let me run with the convertible top down (what was it going to do if I rolled it anyway)

Back to back runs, top up, top down, it was consistantly .1 second quicker top down and the mph was unchanged. Here I am with an Aerospace Engineering degree and 12 credit hours of aerodynamic classes under my belt and the local cooters would come up and tell me how much faster it would be with the top up (though I had the timeslips that proved otherwise).

Until the front end starts lifting (about 85 mph in the stang) drag was about the same.

Your Camaro sounds like a pretty sweet project. Keep us informed with the progress.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Believe it or not, im gonna try and have it done for the GS Nats. Going to be working on it 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week. Wish me luck guys. And if you find any info on this swap please email me [email protected] TIA.

Kyle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kyle,

Something that has not been address here yet with your project is the GN motor swap into an F-body car.

If I remember correctly, the F-body cars have less engine headroom due to the low profile hood.

If so, you will need to change the heads (i.e. 3.0 L) and swap in a set of Turbo TA headers. Which I believe are not easy to find.

The static compression ratio was lowered on the TTA block (from ~8.0 to ~7.5) due to the increase compression of the 3.0-Liter head. Not sure how this was handled though. It may have been done by cutting a deeper dish in the piston I'm not sure.

As far as I know, these are some of the major differences between the GN and the TTA (which applies to your RS Camero).

Someone please correct me here if I wrong.

------------------
Freddie Williams Jr.
Thousand Oaks, CA
87' White TR [email protected](1.80 60')
"Badgeless and Bulgeless"

Homepage
http://www.geocities.com/turbofreddie

Brutal 6 Racing
http://members.aol.com/skooby66/index.htm

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only if you have A/C will it not clear the hood

Kyle

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Deeper dish piston...about 6 ccs if I remember correctly.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

1 - 20 of 23 Posts