Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NO TCC control??

Thanks for the 3 hour tech session today Cal. I enjoyed it even though you were tuning the competition (a Rustang of all cars).

I learned a lot about the SpeedPro. Man, I really wanted one until I figured out it wouldn't work too well in a mostly street driven GN with a 2004r. If it can not control lockup of the stock trans, you would have to install a TCC switch and enable it for "long trips".

So, I am posting this question:

Can you use the SpeedPro as usual, but somehow leave the stock ECM in place and connected to a few of the wires needed to control the TCC lockup control. I guess you would still need readings from the TPS, VSS and trans solenoids.

Anyone ever do this?

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
155 Posts
Man if there's enough interest and you're willing to wire it up we could build you a TCC control box that would control the TCC pretty much like the stock ecu for a nominal fee :)

Wadda ya think?

Todd

·
Registered
345 Posts
TCI makes a kit that goes between the Speedo cable and the tranny and you can set lock-up at any speed by moving a rheostat like switch. I think its around $100. Not exactly the most elegant solution, but it would work. Your Idea of having the factory ECM perform some "dumb" operations might be a better one, though, except for the lock-up speed set point (which requires burning a new chip)

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Registered
108 Posts
How about a full manual one??
You would just have to remeber to turn (flip) a rocker switch to disengage it.
Just wire the ground circuit to ground and control the +12 volt feed to the unit.
Cost less than $5 bucks.
Gary

·
Registered
37 Posts
I need the same.
I am going with a Felpro for my new roller motor and won't give up my 9" AC lock-up.

I ran on a switch with my 383 small blocked S-10 it was ok but a little confusing for anybody else driving my Truck.

Here is the closest I have come to a vendor resolution.

I talked with Caspers Electronics and they are going to make such a unit.
JUST DON'T KNOW WHEN
It will control lock-up via a tps signal and trans 3rd or 4th gear signal.

I understand They have been promising this unit for a year now.

Contact them Here and maybe spur a group purchase to prod them along.

[email protected] or at 1-847-247-0484 during CST business hours.

ADAM

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I take that as a maybe?? There seems to be some interest, but no direct reply yet. What I have in mind could look at TPS, RPM, maybe the speed signal, gear switches, brake switch and maybe coolant temp.

One concern about trying to use the ecu is that if it doesn't get "dummied" well enough it may go to some trouble code mode and not control the TCC as expected. It's an early enough model though that it may be ok (ie pre-OBD2), but you'd have to be aware of that.

Todd

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
NO TCC control??

Thanks for the 3 hour tech session today Cal. I enjoyed it even though you were tuning the competition (a Rustang of all cars).

I learned a lot about the SpeedPro. Man, I really wanted one until I figured out it wouldn't work too well in a mostly street driven GN with a 2004r. If it can not control lockup of the stock trans, you would have to install a TCC switch and enable it for "long trips".

So, I am posting this question:

Can you use the SpeedPro as usual, but somehow leave the stock ECM in place and connected to a few of the wires needed to control the TCC lockup control. I guess you would still need readings from the TPS, VSS and trans solenoids.

Anyone ever do this?

I built a controller on my electronics trainer, but never installed it in a car. I used an OR gate, a 555 timer and a transistor basically. When either 3rd or 4th or both switches signaled engagement, the unit would count to 3 and lock the TCC. I wanted to then make a comparator which at TPS of over say 3.5v it would unlock it (I guess by coupling the output of the comparator to an AND gate with one input being the first circuits "enable" and the 2nd input being the TPS comparator) but it got over my head and I gave up.

I think JOhn Spina is working on something along these lines. Should make many speedpro users happy

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts