Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
boy was I wrong.
Last week I put Mark Heuffmans cold air kit on my GN-right after that, the car wouldn't run. Since the only thing I really touched was the MAF and mine was 8yrs old I went for the upgrade. I called Fullthrottle for the new MAF/translator.
I just put it on 15minutes ago, and the difference is night and day on my car. I never thought the MAF was no good until I got this upgrade. The car flies
I know that this is a shameless product endorsement, but for all the people out there (like me) who think your stock MAF is working..Its Not. should have done this a long time ago.

Thanks Fullthrottle!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Wouldn't a data scan show your MAF wasn't working? :confused: Wouldn't your numbers be skewed? :confused: Wouldn't you become a Rush Limbaugh dittohead? :confused:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Which maf translator did you buy?

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
That was my same reaction / thoughts when i bought the translator and LT1 maf in 1999, great product. :yup: :headbang:

·
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bought the non adjustable one, cause I don't race.

Zap
I don't need no stinkin scan tool! J/k
I'm getting one ...

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Mike L. Rocks for parts..Got their hot wire, fuel pump and scan master :headbang:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Dave, I did the same thing, Installed a cold air kit only to find that my Maf was trash....
I put a new one on it it works fine, But, can you get used to the very different sound that comes from the engine compartment, I hear a more high pitched turbo wine and sucking of air, Is that normal ???

I can't even describe the sound, Maybe like throwing broken glass into an empty trash can. But smoothly and with a low humm.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Gothmog said:
bought the non adjustable one, cause I don't race.
wonder which one you got since all translators are adjustable :rolleyes:
just open the cover and youll see

the std translator is adjustable for sensor and has some fueling adjustment settings for idle and normal driving with a regular chip as does the T+ but that also does timing ,
make sure the settings are correct for the maf you installed

·
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LouL said:
Hey Dave, I did the same thing, Installed a cold air kit only to find that my Maf was trash....
I put a new one on it it works fine, But, can you get used to the very different sound that comes from the engine compartment, I hear a more high pitched turbo wine and sucking of air, Is that normal ???

I can't even describe the sound, Maybe like throwing broken glass into an empty trash can. But smoothly and with a low humm.

:dunno:
Its much louder spoolup and wastegate release, everyone can hear me coming. but I like it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Were there any symptons of a bad MAF before you did the CAI?

·
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
none

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
What are the symptoms of a bad maf?

It is very common for them to drift out of calibration with age. Without a scan tool, how does one know? Wait for a headgasket to pop? :confused:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I have my original maf and the DS numbers at wot have always been around 780 to 820. Because it is the only original part left on my car, I sometimes wonder if, in spite of the numbers, it is contributing or causing the false knock. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Maf numbers range from 5-255 on an oem maf. Bad mafs can cause real knock.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Steve Wood said:
Maf numbers range from 5-255 on an oem maf. Bad mafs can cause real knock.
Sorry. That's what I mean't to type. I'm a little distracted here. I'm in a study hall with 25 eighth graders who are acting up. They graduate tonight.

My maf numbers on DS do go up to 255. So I guess it's probably not the maf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts