Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trouble shooting a high speed miss so I install a MAF screen, retainer and a Lubrant chip in place of my 16 position MaxEffort. Bring it up to five pounds boost, the car launches then backfires and takes off again. Felt pretty good, so let's try the MaxEffort again. Go to take out the MAF screen. Ooops, where's the maf screen. Oh, there it is in the bottom of the K&N. Where's the retainer. No sign of it in the K&N, but I can tell you where it last was...(brand new PT52):-(

------------------

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Balls! I hate to see that, makes my check book run for cover. I saw a certain somebody's that ate a piece of plastic out of the MAF, looked similar, makes me very cautious about what goes on inside that sucker.

I'm gonna glue everything down I can. Especially when I start dicking with this Chevy MAF.

·
Registered
743 Posts
ouch! Sorry to hear that. It hurts just looking at it. Makes me afraid just to turn on my car. I hope it is not too difficult to fix. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Bit quick for a new turbo...hope you bought it via John.
No, I didn't Steve, but that's where it's headed in the morning.

------------------

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Well.Looks like you're headed in the right direction now.A,ahem,friend of mine[he's a board member here too]did exactly the same thing a few years back as I remember.

Just as an afterthought,I hope you'll be backflushing the I/C and piping as well.

------------------
Give em' hell!

[This message has been edited by The Radius Kid (edited November 21, 2001).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Evers:
Trouble shooting a high speed miss so I install a MAF screen, retainer and a Lubrant chip in place of my 16 position MaxEffort. Bring it up to five pounds boost, the car launches then backfires and takes off again. Felt pretty good, so let's try the MaxEffort again. Go to take out the MAF screen. Ooops, where's the maf screen. Oh, there it is in the bottom of the K&N. Where's the retainer. No sign of it in the K&N, but I can tell you where it last was...(brand new PT52):-(

Jack,

It's possible that when you installed the screen, the retainer was not fully seated in place. The retaining ring has 4 small outside edge barbs that must be seated in the MAF housing boss. Perhaps they weren't totally seated or one or more of these barbs were missing.
Then when you nailed it, the motor backfired back into the intake track blowing the screen and retainer into the K&N. Subsequently, and then assuming the motor went into boost, the ring, possibly already broken, was sucked into the turbo.
What I suggest is to pull the IC and reverse flush it first with high pressure water and then as much air pressure as possible. A good radiator should be able to hook up their pressurizing system to the IC outlet and reverse blow out any remaining retaining ring fragments.
I don't think that any retaining ring fragments could have found their way thru the IC core and into the motor's intake track, but removing the TB and upper plenum housing and inspecting the lower intake floor and runners might be a good idea also.
You never know and thats what I would do.

Ron

------------------
Ron Joseph
'87 GN, [email protected], Red's chip, guidance, and it's more streetable than stock....

Ron's Custom Auto
Merkel Performance Engines
305 S. Michigan Ave.
Kenilworth, NJ 07033
1-800-718-7667
Website <ronscustomauto.com>
Ron <[email protected]>
Paul <[email protected]

Paul Joseph, Repair Shop Mgr.
Jack Merkel, Engine Shop Mgr.
Tony Burda, Repair Shop Tech
Jack Trotte, Repair Shop Tech
Mike Wade, Repair Shop Tech
Eli Caraballo, Engine Shop Supr.
Steve Meza, Engine Shop Tech
Terri Nicinski, Secretary & Office Mgr.

"Janis builttransmissions on the shelf"
"Complete, in-house engine machining and building"
"Cylinder head o-ringing"
"Complete engine rebuild kits"
"T/R crate motors available soon"
"All billet and roller trans. internals in stock"
"Custom roll-bar installations"

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Originally posted by The Radius Kid:
Just as an afterthought,I hope you'll be backflushing the I/C and piping as well.
...and peeking in the throttle body, too.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The front screen was
installed properly with the four pegs inserted in the four slots and the
split ends of the retainer end to end. Didn't make any difference. I
backfired on acceleration, blew the maf and retainer off the seat and when
the intake air returned to normal direction, it sucked my retainer into the
compressor.

I think you plan on running a conventional chip and have no plans for a MaxEffort (which requires removal of the screens), glue or epoxy your front screen in place.

------------------

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Damn! Hard lesson to learn.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Evers:
The front screen was
installed properly with the four pegs inserted in the four slots and the
split ends of the retainer end to end. Didn't make any difference. I
backfired on acceleration, blew the maf and retainer off the seat and when
the intake air returned to normal direction, it sucked my retainer into the
compressor.

I think you plan on running a conventional chip and have no plans for a MaxEffort (which requires removal of the screens), glue or epoxy your front screen in place.

Split ends?That's what did it.You're right though,epoxy will hold it.Just a thin coat around the outside of the screen should do it.Did it myself.Works well.Didn't trust the split ring.Does illustrate the restriction to flow that the screens impose though.Ron's right though,I think it would be awfully hard for the chewed up ring material to make it through the I/C.I'd check anyway though.Better safe than sorry.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I'm running my Maxeffort with all the screens in the 3.5" Chevy MAF and the translator. Never asked Steve if they should be removed. And I ain't planning on modifying or touching the thing. It flows enough for me.

Hope you rebuild it quick and get her running soon.

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Sorry to hear about your turbo.

As for your miss it kinda sounds like a bad ign coil. Just cause the secondary side of the coil tests good doesn't mean the coils good, unless you have a Caspers coil tester.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Salvage, not quite sure if the LS1 MAF or trnaslator will work correctly without the screens. The Maxeffort is setup to run without screens so it won't lean out if the screens are missing. The stock LS1 MAF and translator is liable to not recognize the larger area of 'flow' so you may run a little lean without the screens. Ask Steve though to be sure.

As for Laminar flow, which is the idea behind the screens, the LS1 maf has three different bridges instead of just one like the buick MAF, so the screen does even less. I still haven't been able to peg an LS1 maf (on the scope) WITH the screen, so I am not really sure what to say about when you'll need more air.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Didn't Bruce Plecan just post about a month ago "some where's else".He talked about removing the screen on the 3" Impy maf and what he had to do to straighten out the flow readings without the screen.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I've got the screens IN with the 3.5", that was my point, no mods. to do for the translator and 3.5" MAF.

It was just a gentle nudge for Jack to maybe consider this next step for use with the Maxeffort chip.

Now with all that has been posted I will check with Steve Y. to see what he says about LS1 MAF's and screens....

·
Registered
683 Posts
I run a screenles MAF and it is ported inside like Orlandos'. My engine idles so smooth and even better than stock! I had it to 350 rpm (setting the IAC) Leaving in the venturi cone does make sense to me as it does directs some of the flow through the hot wire sensor. Yes, ingesting anything does damage the turbo. Sorry that it happened to you, Jack! The stock MAF is running in the 9s now so the potential is there. JC will fix you up for sure! Gene

1 - 18 of 18 Posts