Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My car had hooker headers on it when purchased and I cant afford to take them off and replace them so I am going to try and get the best out of them I can. the ceramic coating is wearing off of them and I have lots of lag. How do I get a little bit better spoolup? Mabye header wrap? a different chip? I have a minimag chip and I just ordered a thrasher. What else could I do. anything will help.
thanks

------------------
1970 Seamist Green GS350
1984 Black T Type with 87 intercooled engine
Trying to get it running!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't know your combination, but I would suggest putting stock headers on it. I know of two cars that gained a bunch by doing that.

------------------

·
Registered
34 Posts
Verify there are no exhaust leaks at any of the connection points. Remember you may not be able to hear these, so check it by listening through a piece of rubber hose. I would not put any wrap on these as they will deteriorate faster especially when driving in the elements. HTH.....Ken

·
140 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, get rid of the Hookers. They(Hookers) might work well on a good breathing high HP setup, but for the mild street setup - avoid them! I think you will be far ahead of the game by investing in a set of stock headers first, before spending money on different chips and thermal wrap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. I will look for stockers at the nats. but for now, where would the leaks be located? I know of 1 that I had at the head after I replaced the head gasket but its fixed now, Where else should I check?

------------------
1970 Seamist Green GS350
1984 Black T Type with 87 intercooled engine
Trying to get it running!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone have any pics of a hooker header setup,just curious what i have on my car. I was told it was k.belle stuff but not sure because of design. If no pics any descriptions?

thanks, Dennis

·
140 Posts
Dennis, it's been a few years but if memory serves me right, the two headers off the heads meet below the motor near the trans inspection shield to form a "Y" junction. An up-pipe off this "Y" junction then snakes it's way under the passenger side header and up to the turbo. In my non-engineer opinion, I think part of the lag problem with the Hookers is lost velocity due to the length and i.d. of tubing involved.

[This message has been edited by KENNE-BILL (edited April 10, 2001).]

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I have my Hooker headers on for 5 years now. No cracks, rust or leaks. When my motor and trans was stock I did suffer some lag. But did not hurt performance as much as my cracked stock headers. They had to be welded twice a year and I got sick of it. Now with a decent motor buildup and ported heads and a 9.5 3200 converter I have 0 lag and instant spool

------------------

ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, T49,Bluetops,MM210Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

1 - 9 of 9 Posts