Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was out racing (road course) and as the day went on I was getting quite a bit of oil blowing out of the Valve Cover vent filters and there was a lot of oil going into the intake. What is causing this and how do I get this to stop? It seems as if it's robbing me of power. Now what I do on these events is run the oil 1/2-1 qt over full so I don't get oil starvation in the sweepers.

Thanks,

------------------
Greg Smith
SSCC #300
TCRA #308

www.hotrodbuick.com

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don't know what your setup is, so I will ask the usual questions...

Have you replaced your PCV valve lately?
Have you done a leakdown ar compression test? Could be bad rings causing the excessive blowby

Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

PTE 44 turbo @ 20psi on pump gas. Jay Jackson’s 62 mm throttle body, ported and polished plenum and intercooler. Solid MAF pipe, K&N Filter. Blue tops. Hot wired 255 L/hr Holley inline FP., AFR. AC CR43’s. Type II coil pack and module. 8.5 Magnecor’s. Hand made TH style DP, 3” exhaust split to two 2 ½ inch Magnaflows.

Built 200 4R tranny, B&M cooler, stock D5 converter, B&M Megashifter.
Chopped Ford 9” four link setup @3:25 posi rear with a 300 ZX disk brake setup. Air bags, Bilstein Rally shocks.
85 Supra 57 mm piston 10” vented rotor front brake setup. Hurst Roll control. Tokico race struts, heavy duty coils. Nissan 300 ZX 15/16 master cylinder.
Dunlop SP 5000 205/50ZR 15’s, Ford power steering rack.

DirectScan, Caspers Knock gauge, Autometer 30/30 boost/vacuum gauge, Autometer tranny temp gauge. Jay C’s 94, Red’s 100, Thrasher 92, and my own chips

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Greg, if this is your normal track, etc. and the car has not done it before, then it does not sound too good.

I would verify that the pcv valve is working correctly, new or not....just pinch it off with a pair of vise grips for a momentary check.

If that is not the problem, then I think the next step is a leak down test. A compression check may suffice. Hole in the piston or broken rings?

Might as well run at least a simple compression check right now if you don't have a readily accessible place to run the car.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Thank your lucky stars, Joey....who wants to be old and fat? *g*

I woulda said 150-160...main thing is they should all be close and not have one at 35.

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's funny Paul!...and I wish it were true. I just got back from another road course in my Vette and the oil was in no hurry to leave the car

I was thinking about the advise on the compression test and maybe I should clarify where the oil is a little better than I have. The oil is coming out of the K&N filter that is on the driver side valve cover. Not a lot of oil and probably not enough to be of concern due to the type of driving. The other area of concern is in the Up Pipe from the intercooler and into the Dog House by way of the Butterfly Valve.

I may have have mislead you guys by being too vague in my previous posts.

All that being said, do you guys still think it's a compression issue or rather something gone wrong in the turbo?

Thanks for your input,

Greg

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
As you have the breather to the turbo inlet disconnected, then I think it appears that your turbo seal has packed it in....need to have that fixed first.

Do you have a check valve in your pcv line to try to keep boost out of the crankcase?

I would think a periodic compression check on a race car would be nice....but...

if you can put it in gear, bring it up against the converter with a few pounds of boost and not see a bunch of smoke or oil coming out of the breathers,I would think the engine was okay...running these things at high rpm may put too much up in the heads sometimes and let it leak out the breather?

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off, thanks for the replies Steve and Paul. I posted this question elsewhere and apparently stumped the panels

The oil tube is no longer connected to the turbo. I have a Turbonetics Cheetah 3 turbo that only has 5k miles on it. Where and how do I get the seal replaced. Is this something that I can fix? I have a slotted screwdriver and a hammer
. How often do these seals go out?

I don't have a check valve. I guess it's time to get one. Where do I get one?

I have no smoke coming out of anywhere, breathers or tail pipe. Whew(so far).

I will be doing the compression check just the same for peace of mind.

Thanks again,

Greg

[This message has been edited by Racer X (edited January 27, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I would inquire of Turbonetics...I think any turbo shop could do it and so can you, but, I would spend the money and ask them to explain why it went out. Was it defective, oil contamination?, or what?

You might pull your oil filter, cut it open and see if you see any metal.

If there is no source of oil in the inlet to the compressor, and there is not, then the only way oil can get into the uppipe is thru the innercooler from the turbo. To get there, the seal must be bad that separates the shaft lubricant from the compressor tract.

ATR, Pete Tomka, Kirban all sell the check valve. Don't replace the pcv with it, put it in the hose going to the pcv. Seems like it is 19-20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yeah...oil is low octane

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Do you have a sneeze valve on the car? OIl doesnt get in the uppipe from a breather. I suspect all the on the gas, off the gas, on the gas is taking its toll on the turbo. You might consider putting a sneeze valve on the car when you overhaul the turbo

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I am not sure on the bov. If it is plumbed back into the intake, it might work better. Mine caused some light throttle problems during the transition from vacuum to boost at very light pedal.

I took it off but have not driven the car enuf to know how it will work now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts