Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i put the car into reverse after i start the car i hear a clank sound like metal hiting metal, the engine mounts are new, could it be a tranny mount? or is this sound normal?

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Mine does it all the time. I've heard rumor that a performance gear setup such as the 8.5 is configured differently than your average street diff. Never found my U-joints to be sloppy. Does it more into drive than reverse.

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
i have ALWAYS had that "clank" when you put it in gear...even WITH brand new spicer ujoints and brand new aluminum driveshaft...also have a new yoke in the rear end and all new bearings...gonna find out if the tranny was making that noise because i blew up my stock tranny and it's time for a rebuild...hehe

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Ummm, guys, you shouldn't be hearing ANY clanks or clunks when shifting into any gear, forward or reverse. If you are, you might want to get to the bottom of the problem (there is a problem if you're hearing noises like that).
Has nothing to do with "high performance" gear sets or whatever other old wives tale you may have heard.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
In my opinion it's not worth getting to the bottom of the clanks and clunks since mines been doing it for 150K miles now.

Normal, just put new U joints on for nothing too. wink

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty normal.

I think both of my cars do this. yup

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I think it's just the tranny engaging the driveshaft, a little spline noise maybe. I get a clicking when I come to a stop, but the whole front end is tight. It's just the sound of a 16 year old car I guess.

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
or whatever other old wives tale you may have heard.
Nah, I didn't hear it from my wife and she's not old either. She says when I try to explain the car repair I'm doing at the time, it sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher to her. Wah, wah, wah. The sound however definitely comes from the rear, not internally in the trans. Could be the posi maybe? That would lend a little weight to the "performance" rumor.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Does it click around corners? Does your pumpkin have fluid? Is it the correct fluid? Have you checked your tranny mount?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
My old wife told me it normal wink Combination of splines,yoke,ring and pinion clearances will clunk a little when forced to move into place.
If your idle is to high or with the AC idle step up it will make it louder. If it's real bad then put up on a lift and check.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have always heard this sound as well, but pictured it coming from inside the transmission. I remember I replaced my u-joints with brand new ones and there was no difference.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think i dug up a mystery.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone contemplated packing bearing grease (in yolk) to act as a cushion?

<small>[ August 25, 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: GNJIM2 ]</small>

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I would guess it is the lash between the ring and pinion. That lash can open up after a pile of miles and "ring" the driveshaft. Have someone shift between forward and reverse at idle, with the brake on of course. If you kneel down by the door and look under you will see how much the driveshaft turns when the TR doesn't. This is the lash. If you can't find anything ready to fall off, this is probably what you are hearing. That my story and I'm sticking to it. yup

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
GNJIM2:
Has anyone contemplated packing bearing grease (in yolk) to act as a cushion?
I like to see you pack the yoke with grease then get it to seat all the way in eek! Even spraying some white lube on it makes a challenge to get it in. Good idea but wink

·
Registered
18 Posts
When i put the car into reverse after i start the car i hear a clank sound like metal hiting metal, the engine mounts are new, could it be a tranny mount? or is this sound normal?

No that sound is not normal, Try this....on the highway or somewhere when you can go over 65mph(local street) this should be enough MPH, Put the pedal to the metal..Then if you hear the clank under the shifter its most likly the tranny mount.I had fixed a few of these..lol...The Doc

powersix powersix

1 - 20 of 25 Posts