Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is mike, i have found a 87 GN for sale. I have some serious questions about it, as being a novice with the grand national, besides the general car guy stuff, i dont know what value would be for one especially this one.

That being said here is the info on it: suposed 101k on the car all original car, stock. Its needs a paint job, and all 4 wheels need to be re-chromed, it needs a headliner, and dash (the upper section where the speaker grills are, not sure if it that is one peice?). Otherwise the interior is in good shape and outside of body is good beyond the paint and what appears to be very minor bubble rust. Pretty clean underneath as well. The front grille is broken ( appears to be good but it pushes in kinda like its on a hinge). Front driverside turn signal is cracked up but not broken. The car sputters and studders, says its the spark but could be a fuel issue he wasnt sure, friend thought it mayb the wastegate sticking. It does come with a huge ass owners book, thing is like a foot tall.

Ok he says he wont take less than 8k for it. Is that a good deal? Or is the car more of project than i think it is? Has sat for the last 11yrs but started up he says, and hasnt switched any fluids.

Thanks, mike in wisconsin

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is a loaded question....the car sputtering could be an easy fix or could be costly,
Regardless whatever turbo regal you buy you should do the "spring cleaning"
Which involves fuel filter , fuel pump , plugs, wires, mass air flow, coil pack etc

Either way it could cost you some scratch

Interior they all look good and even high mileage cars interiors wear well
The exterior look for rust

My best suggestion would be try and buy it cheap
Cause you never know

Good luck

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
In addition to the obvious needs, add in a fuel system rebuild.
Check the body mounts on both the frame AND body for rust.
No such thing as "minor rust bubbles"....
A paint job W/O the rust issues = $5K. [To do it RIGHT.]
Grille may not be broken. It's hinged and retained w/ springs... Spring are gone.
Until the car is READY to drive, you will know nothing about:
The condition of the engine, trans, rear end. A failure of any 1 of these is pushing $1000.
Engine and trans...Could be much More.
Is this a Wisconsin car? Have you got a VIN? If so, maybe someone can run a "Carfox"
on it. [Or, U can do it for a few $$]

IMO, $8K is waay too much..[Especially, if you have zero experience w/ these cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He started the car and it seemed to me to be chugging after start up, but after start up it ran ok. So lets say it is the fuel system, the guy was pretty sure it was a spark issue.

if i do buy, basically replace the fuel system, if the mounts are bad then pass on it?

As far as the bubbling, they were small spots and underneath had some surface rust but not as bad as i was expecting it to look. The grille moving is normal than? What about the other issues it has?

Im a novice with the 80's regals but a car person and not a novice with froced induction, so i figure it mybe something i can tackle and i have friends who have great knowledge. Im looking for what the value of the car would be to buy it now, basically a fair price for it.

Yes its a wisconsin car. And the guy has driven it, he bought from the 2nd owner and drove it home, wife changed her mind on it and told him to sell it. He paid 7k for it, which i think is a fair price for the car from seeing others for sale with half the miles and what appears to be no work needed.

He obviously trying to make some money, i watched the car on craigslist for about a month at 8k and it of course didnt sell, until the drop to 7k. Im waiting the guy out to say give me back what i paid and get it for 7k. Is the car worth 7k??? Or tell him 6k? Or even cheaper??

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
If you have the tools, the space, and the inclination, then you've found yourself a project...
If you don't, you WILL be upside down really fast, paying someone else to do the work....
Best you take an experienced turbo Regal guy w/ you to do an inspection...

Amazing how often the wife gets hammered for a screw up by the husband...How do you know he didn't buy the car, then find it's a basket case, and blames the wife as the reason to get rid of it? Key words; You don't.

So, a fair price to me>>>>>$6K,.[And, I have the tools and the "whiskers" to rebuild it.]

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Just having the same gas in the tank for 11 years is an issue to me.
I suggest while your waiting him out to drop the price you read these 2 sites over a few times & learn all you can!! Then ask questions!
Vortex Buicks
Turbo Regal Web Site (lots of step by step instructions on various topics)

Also to get an idea of parts prices for New Ignition etc read
nos4gn Highway Stars has OEM parts In stock for Buick Grand National
GBodyParts.com Online
www.fullthrottlespeed.com

Last peice of advice I can offer you is these cars are called Black Crack for a reason!! They are not cheap to repair & most mechanics have no clue about them so you need tools, time & Patience when they break down! :yup:
Plus the Cash or a decent line of credit!! :wink:
By the time you do the paint etc & then the go Fast Bug gets you be prepared to be all in at $20K :sw:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have the tools, the space, and the inclination, then you've found yourself a project...
If you don't, you WILL be upside down really fast, paying someone else to do the work....
Best you take an experienced turbo Regal guy w/ you to do an inspection...

Amazing how often the wife gets hammered for a screw up by the husband...How do you know he didn't buy the car, then find it's a basket case, and blames the wife as the reason to get rid of it? Key words; You don't.

So, a fair price to me>>>>>$6K,.[And, I have the tools and the "whiskers" to rebuild it.]
Those were my thoughts too, how do you know, guy was trying to talk it up big time. I went at looked at it and had to pick my jaw off of the ground. He said all the paint needed was a buffing :lol: the paint is spydered all over and starting to peel. Rims are spray painted over the chrome, perhaps to stop further rusting, but he used a shinny silver paint on it. But were the paint was the chrome was gone. Said the dash isnt cracked, and i said what about the speaker grills? The crack goes through them and across the dash. Common issue i assume for that and any vehicle from the 80's.

But thanks greatly, i figured the 6k mark was going to be the number. He'll have a tough time selling that thing. Looks good from a distance though haha i actually had the opportunity to talk to the original seller, and he said all he got from ppl were low ball offers on it, so im assuming the 5-6k mark.

Was hoping it wasnt going to be too big of a project and get lucky and all original car that has never been modified. Tough choice to make

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just having the same gas in the tank for 11 years is an issue to me.
I suggest while your waiting him out to drop the price you read these 2 sites over a few times & learn all you can!! Then ask questions!
Vortex Buicks
Turbo Regal Web Site (lots of step by step instructions on various topics)

Also to get an idea of parts prices for New Ignition etc read
nos4gn Highway Stars has OEM parts In stock for Buick Grand National
GBodyParts.com Online
www.fullthrottlespeed.com

Last peice of advice I can offer you is these cars are called Black Crack for a reason!! They are not cheap to repair & most mechanics have no clue about them so you need tools, time & Patience when they break down! :yup:
Plus the Cash or a decent line of credit!! :wink:
By the time you do the paint etc & then the go Fast Bug gets you be prepared to be all in at $20K :sw:[/QUOTE

Thank you for the info, i will read up on that, and yes i had idea that this would cost me 10k on top of buying the car. I think i will wait him out and see what happens, if someone else would like info on the car or the guys number i will ask him first but i doont think he'll have an issue with me handing it out. But at this point it seems like a pass on my end, as much as i like buicks and the GN this one may be over my head. The search goes on, i think would prefer too try and find a near turn key car that would need very little tlc, but then ya pay for those so. The right car will come around one day.

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
" But at this point it seems like a pass on my end,"

Good choice!
From the added info you have posted, that $8K is more like 4, IMO...Borders on being a parts car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just picked one up with 32k miles for 12k with a bunch of mods. Could use a paint job but overall great condidtion, other than that everything is sound mechanically. It was a steal. Just giving you an idea of whats out there

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Mileage on a modded car is likely 132K not 32K but it really doesn't matter as it only takes an 1/8 mile to toast head gaskets! :wink:
As long as your happy with the purchase then mileage means nothing!
Make sure you start with a spring cleaning found on Turbo Regal Web Site before you beat on it too much!
Again I can't stress how helpful Vortex Buicks can be when your new to the cars! :cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mileage on a modded car is likely 132K not 32K but it really doesn't matter as it only takes an 1/8 mile to toast head gaskets! :wink:
As long as your happy with the purchase then mileage means nothing!
Make sure you start with a spring cleaning found on Turbo Regal Web Site before you beat on it too much!
Again I can't stress how helpful Vortex Buicks can be when your new to the cars! :cheers:
i totally agree with you. Modding a car and running it will in ones perpsective adds mileage or shortens its life. Run it hard and find everything thats bad first and fix then have some fun and do it all over again. Which i am right now having fun and finding problems but thats the name of the game, we wouldnt buy these cars if we didnt want to wrench on them. Did run a carfax and the milage is actually true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts