Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Valve Monkey
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing up a head gasket job. When I used to be into Chevy's, it was a big no-no to put silicone type sealers on the rubber end gaskets for the intake manifold. But when I broke open this motor the gaskets were coated on both sides with it. Should I or shouldn't I? I've always just put it on the ends of the gaskets, where the two gaskets meet. Also, should I put sealant on anywhere else or just install the gasket "dry"?

------------------
Richard Gautier
'87 GN, TE61, blue tops,IC and a half,Champion iron heads, Roller rockers,ported intake and plenum,70mm TB, Houston DP, no times yet!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've done this both ways with good results for both. When I put the silicon all the way across the rubber piece, I only put enough on to "stick" the gasket. Most of the time I just put a little dab at the corners. HTH.......Ken

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've always thrown those stupid little end rail gaskets away and used silicone. Been doing it for 15 years and never had a leak.
I just clean all surfaces with paint thinner. If you don't block off the boost from going into the block, via pcv, the extra pressure in the block may just blow out those gaskets and you then may have a leak. IMO the silicone won't blow out.

Good Luck!
Kevin

------------------
87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BOOST 25-26 LBS (YEP OVERKILL FOR COMBO), BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, TE44, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts